Laser sights

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Stew

Laser sights

Post by Stew » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:36 am

I am thinking of adding a laser to my LC9s. I have never used a laser before and wonder if there is any advantage to Red or Green?
Stew
Florida

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Lasers

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:33 pm

It is personal preference really (what your eyes see best).

I find I can see red more in the daylight and night than I can see green.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:01 pm

I will support the 'zona Hermit in that the preference is per the shooter's eyes.

My old eyes prefer Green in all light. I cannot see red on black very well.

One - perhaps obvious - comment regarding self defense handgun lasers is that the
shooter focuses on the target... rather than a front sight.

In a high stress situation, looking at the threat is typically a more 'normal' response.

The laser dot is, therefore, evidence the muzzle is pointing where you need it.
Coach
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:07 pm

BTW, Stew.
I see this is your first posting. So, welcome! to the GTO forum.
Your will find a great group of folk here ready to share their experiences and technical knowledge...
and occasionally some odd ball humor. :D
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:38 pm

All depends on what your eyes see the brightest. I see Red brighter, have them on my Kimber UCII.

Like Coach said, with laser sights you focus on the target, not the sights. Which means your point shooting from any position. I find it best to not to bring the gun all the way up as you would with iron sights. Trying to pick up the iron sights is a waste of valuable time.

Then you need to practice using the laser, since it's different. I normally shoot at least 1 mag through my gun using the laser sights. I check function every time I holster up. The original batteries are still in mine, coming up on 5 yrs now.

The green is suppose to give you a longer range which is immaterial on SD gun since every thing is up close and personal.

Stew, Welcome to GTO
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Stew

Laser sights

Post by Stew » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:35 am

Thanks for the comments and welcomes.
Coach's comment about the red on black rang a bell. I have an awful time reading web pages that are red letters on black background. At seventy-two my eyes aren't going to get any sharper.
Stew
Florida

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:09 pm

The laser itself is one of the smallest components. - It sounds to me like the best arrangement would be a switchable set of lasers, a red one sighted in for 15 yards, and a green one sighted in for 75-100 yards.

Have it where you can activate one or the other - or both. I'd want to have a strobe option for either one or both lasers, as well.

A flat-shooting handgun cartridge will behave best with laser sights. A .357 magnum revolver, or a 10mm auto would work well, as would plenty of others.

Practicing at different ranges with the green laser will tell you how high or low to hold at different ranges, with your intended load. This allows best utilization of "rainbow trajectory" rounds that are powerful, but normally more difficult to make hits with, as range increases.

A natural companion to laser sights would be glow-in-the-dark iron sights, for those times when you don't want to give away your position or scare away game with the lasers. Good irons will get you by in bright sunlight too, when lasers are most difficult to see.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:20 pm

You will find people who love laser sights, and those who don't like them. I am of the later group. To me, they interfere with your natural aiming skills and take a shooter's mind off what really needs to be focused on. They also give away your position in a self defense situation. Lasers are fun to mess around with at the range, but that's about it.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:50 am

Realistically speaking, you are most likely to use your SD gun either at very close range or in a home invasion scenario. At close range, point shooting will most likely take over . In a home invasion, it's dark, your eyes are fuzzy, etc. The laser will help you aim.

Also that red dot is a great deterrent .. after years of seeing people rethink their decisions after a dot from a taser is on them even after real guns were pointed at them. ..
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:01 pm

I put a Crimson Trace laser on my M&P9. It's great because it is built into the grip back strap. The red works quite well in dark or low light. You can leave the power on and the laser is activated by your grip on the pistol grip.

The downside. You can't see the red laser on a bright day limiting the amount of sighting in and practice you can get at an outdoor range. I've seen other lasers (red and green) that have better visibility outdoors in the sunshine.

But, as bgreene says you might use the laser at close range in dark or low light so precise aiming is not needed. Boresighting the laser is probably enough.

I have one with laser and don't think I'd equip another.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:02 pm

Hey Mr Greener. Something has changed. Your post above says you joined GTO
on Aug 20, 2014... ?

I know that ain't right.
Coach

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:24 pm

The other bonus to laser sights is you can aim from awkward positions where a normal sight picture isn't possible. Like after being knocked down on your butt.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:04 pm

Coach1 wrote:Hey Mr Greener. Something has changed. Your post above says you joined GTO
on Aug 20, 2014... ?

I know that ain't right.
Coach
I changed my email address and my account crashed mightily. Bullseye gave me the very rare opportunity to return from the dead and start over again.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:40 pm

good for you Greener, you have been around here for a long time. I personally do not worry about sight on an SD gun, and I do not target shoot pistols, they are strictly to protect my butt. Got through shooting a 25 on skeet some years ago and a guy said, your front sight is missing, I do not see the sights just he target as it breaks.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:29 am

Unfortunately I could not delve into the forum database code and restore Greener's post count and the joining date. I only know a little about coding and php is not my forte.

R,
Bullseye