The Last Bullet You'll Ever Need

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

The Last Bullet You'll Ever Need

Post by Hakaman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:09 pm

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:05 pm

That looks pretty good!

From a manufacturing standpoint, I'd be looking at casting instead of machining as that would reduce the cost quite a bit, and speed up the production so more can be produced per hour. Some machining might still be necessary, but it would be a quicker, simpler operation.

They didn't say, but it looks like it would be pricey, I'll probably just have to stick with regular hollow points. - I'm already paying 36 bucks for twenty rounds of the 9mm SD round I load in my Hungarian Smith-Browning clone.

I wonder if they make a funny noise traveling through the air, and if they are frangible enough to cut down on ricochet danger - or if they might be more dangerous than usual with fragments going every which way.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:12 pm

The reviews and tests I have seen were not that good. .. The petals break off and don't penetrate deeply at all.... The base doesn't expand and gives the same wound channel as a light 380 fmj...
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:38 am

I wonder how well this round would react to heavy clothing like multiple layers of winter garb? In the videos I see many examples of multiple pieces of the frangible rounds exiting the gelatin blocks only to strike objects beside the intended target with enough force to penetrate.

They may be onto something but I believe more research is necessary.

R,
Bullseye

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:39 am

I haven't seen any at my LGS, so the "taking the ammo industry by storm" is slow moving.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:42 am

It's hard to imagine a police department using them. First time a citizen was struck by flying fragments after a miss on the bad guy, they would turn out to be much more expensive than the purchase price.

For the same reason I think I'll take a pass on them, even if the price comes down.

When one of them strikes pavement, it would be like somebody was at the impact point, spraying the area with a shotgun. - The opposite effect of frangible ammunition.

Mean-looking though... I'm sure that there will be some sales, right up until the lawsuits start rolling in on the manufacturer.