Watch for scams on in person sales / How-to FFL sale ?

The place for members to buy, sell, or trade.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Watch for scams on in person sales / How-to FFL sale ?

Post by ruger22 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Have my two black Bobcats on gunlistings.org. I have had some responses that were persistent in wanting my home address. I email them back that I would meet them in a public location. Then, no more reply from them.

Some people could be scamming to rob your house, or you.

After six weeks and no serious replies, I may post them for through an FFL. I'm not sure how to legally ship to an FFL, receive payment, etc., all new to me?

On a $180 gun, is adding shipping, insurance, and the FFL's fee worth it to someone anyway?

I would rather just sell to a dealer, but my best local offer was $140. No way.
* Two Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* Two NAA Guardian .32ACP
* Three Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Gun shows?

Someone at your range/club?

Maybe post them on a forum you use?

Armslist? (no affiliation, but I like to see what's available used in my area with armslist)

SKnight
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by SKnight » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:03 pm

I'm curious on this as well. Finances are about to force me to lean down the herd some, but don't want to basically give them away.
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics need work.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:35 am

On the other side of the fence, folks who are looking to buy firearms are also wary of scammers or folks attempting to sell stolen goods. Unless you personally know a buyer or the seller, a transaction through an FFL licensed dealer is one of your best options.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:42 pm

bigfatdave wrote:Gun shows?

Armslist? (no affiliation, but I like to see what's available used in my area with armslist)
Gun shows? Quit going, too much gouging. No club, my range is Forest Service, very casual. Don't think I've seen the same person twice yet. Forum? Want to try local a while longer, not 100% sure how to do a ship to FFL sale and collect payment. I assume Gunbroker has info, I need to do some research!! Don't know if someone would want to pile shipping and FFL fee on top of my $180 price, just for a Bobcat.

Armslist? I didn't know about that one, thank you very, very much, BFD. They are on Armslist now. Also gunlistings.org, and backpage.com.

27 Beck

Post by 27 Beck » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:51 pm

ruger22 wrote:
bigfatdave wrote:Gun shows?

Gun shows? Quit going, too much gouging. No club, my range is Forest Service, very casual. Don't think I've seen the same person twice yet. Forum? Want to try local a while longer, not 100% sure how to do a ship to FFL sale and collect payment. I assume Gunbroker has info, I need to do some research!! Don't know if someone would want to pile shipping and FFL fee on top of my $180 price, just for a Bobcat.

Armslist? I didn't know about that one, thank you very, very much, BFD. They are on Armslist now. Also gunlistings.org, and backpage.com.
also, www.swapgiant.com

Gun show still one of the best for face to face.

SKnight
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by SKnight » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:59 pm

Spoke with an FFL guy today. The buyer needs to specify which FFL you need to send the weapon to and the FFL holder finalizes the deal.

Much as it pains me he also does consignment, I'm probably going that route next week.
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics need work.

mkIII1022

Post by mkIII1022 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:38 am

i recently traded handguns with a guy and when i got home went to the police station and found that it was a stolen hand gun. turned it in to the police and called the guy back to get my gun back.
that was from armslist

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:15 am

On my two Bobcats in the original post, one went straight sale to Gander Mountain, and I hung onto the other one a while. It recently went on consignment at LGS, customer put it on layaway, I'll have $$$ in two weeks or less. I'll get more from this one than I did the Gander one.

Person to person sale is too much headache, for me, unless I know the person. The consignment thing gets me as good a price without the hassle.