Ammo Hoarders and Scaremongers--Chill Please!!!

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:22 pm

I dropped by the Walmart in Short Pump this afternoon. They had 5 boxes of Federal Value Pack and a sign saying they had a limit of 4 boxes of pistol ammo per person per day. I took two and left the rest for the guy behind me.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:55 pm

:D

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:07 pm

I can't seem to ever be at the WalMart when they have and of the Fed bulk, but no problem. My dealer/friend has had som Centurion made by Aquila? and it is just a little more but a lot more consistent and accurate in my 10/22's. Compared to the Centurion the Fed Bulk looks like # 4 buck patterning.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:03 pm

To add to my earlier post concerning my "hoarding" 9K rounds of .22 ammo:

I've had several opportunities to buy one or more cases of Wally World's Federal or Winchester bricks. On one occasion I did buy three "333" bricks, but have otherwise never bought more than two bricks in each purchase. It's taken six months and a lot of effort to get my supply fairly.

I have come to a store right after a single customer bought every .22 box they had. One time a guy had just bought 8 cases of the Federal a half hour before, wiping that out.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:10 am

ruger22 wrote:To add to my earlier post concerning my "hoarding" 9K rounds of .22 ammo:

I've had several opportunities to buy one or more cases of Wally World's Federal or Winchester bricks. On one occasion I did buy three "333" bricks, but have otherwise never bought more than two bricks in each purchase. It's taken six months and a lot of effort to get my supply fairly.

I have come to a store right after a single customer bought every .22 box they had. One time a guy had just bought 8 cases of the Federal a half hour before, wiping that out.
I see the same thing here in North Carolina. I went into WW a couple of weeks ago and to my surprise, they had 10 Federal 550 bulk boxes. I bought 2 and left the other 8. I went back a couple of days later for something else and decided to see if there were any left. Nope, all gone. They have not had any since. I find some occasionally but not often.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:16 pm

To add to my earlier post concerning my "hoarding" 9K rounds of .22 ammo:
Don't worry about it.:wink: It's nice to see some folks thinking of the next person. Toooo many people panicking over ammo. They say some people are hoarding it to supply their needs for the "rest of their lives". :?: I think people need to relax and deal with the situation if and when it comes up. Like ammo serial #'s and stuff like that. Does panicking ever help anything? :roll: I do wonder though where the ammo situation would be if "everybody" just took what they needed for the imediate future.
Haka
Last edited by Hakaman on Fri May 01, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri May 01, 2009 11:34 am

Guys,
I'ts not just a greedy individual buying up all the available ammo at Wal Mart. I recently found out the other stores are going there and buying up the ammo they can't get, then reselling it at an increased price.

Go figure :evil:

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 01, 2009 11:43 am

stork wrote:Guys,
I'ts not just a greedy individual buying up all the available ammo at Wal Mart. I recently found out the other stores are going there and buying up the ammo they can't get, then reselling it at an increased price.

Go figure :evil:

FWIW
Or taking it to gun shows or selling it on Gunbroker for 3 or 4 times the cost, and the best part is people are buying it and not complaining.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat May 02, 2009 11:55 am

I've been watching this thread with interest. Long before the big scare I bought two bricks of Rem 550 bulk or two bricks of Fed Automatch approx twice a month, and one case of CCI SV on a one time basis . Remember that this was well before things got crazy, and as a result I've not bought any for the last 90 days with the exception of Target grade fodder for my Annies which I assure you is not in short supply. This faze will slow down, and I'm proud of those who buy just what they need and leave some for the next shooter. I will confess that I have gone through a lot of my bulk bricks since bearandoldman lured me into the joy of HENRY shooting 8) Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 02, 2009 12:08 pm

KAZ wrote:I've been watching this thread with interest. Long before the big scare I bought two bricks of Rem 550 bulk or two bricks of Fed Automatch approx twice a month, and one case of CCI SV on a one time basis . Remember that this was well before things got crazy, and as a result I've not bought any for the last 90 days with the exception of Target grade fodder for my Annies which I assure you is not in short supply. This faze will slow down, and I'm proud of those who buy just what they need and leave some for the next shooter. I will confess that I have gone through a lot of my bulk bricks since bearandoldman lured me into the joy of HENRY shooting 8) Regards
Ayup, Henry and the 10/22s like that cheap stuff and they also like the rapid fire plinking, Petey the Plastic Prairie Dog really takes a beating. Got one just about worn out now, but he has lasted man, many shots.

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 02, 2009 3:33 pm

I've been able to stay a little ahead of what I've been shooting, but I've had to be less choosy about the ammo. When the groups aren't as good as I'd like, I've got a built in excuse other than shooter. Plan to keep telling myself that until I believe it.

I'd like to shoot some commercial, jacketed 9mm to see how the SR9 shoots with something I didn't reload. WalMart almost never has 9mm, so I guess I'll have to blow the big bucks to test the pistol.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat May 02, 2009 3:45 pm

To add to my earlier post concerning my "hoarding" 9K rounds of .22 ammo
Hey Ruger, I guess you're right, you are not hoarding. I'll be gracious and take you off the "hoarding list". Just having a little fun. :lol: The club I belong to actually has bricks of 22lr (winchester x sv) and some federal 333 sv. I bought 2 boxes of the 333's for $15/box. I was surprised they had bricks, because "nowhere esle" does. I'd like to get my hands on some 38sp. :cry:
haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 03, 2009 6:34 pm

Well. late this morning I decided some of my underwear and socks were getting a little tattered and torn, so time to head for the best place to replace them, Walmart. I'm really not happy going shopping at any store really, seem like too much effort required to find things, as I go so rarely I don't know where different items are. So, as long as I was there and I was out of Fed bulk I headed for the sporting goods dept and amazingly they had some ammo in stock. After using my cell to call the store and tell them I need assistance twice, I finally got a young lady to take care of me. I know, It's Sunday and they are probably minimally staffed, first call, no action so waited 8 minutes and called again and got action within less than a minute. They had maybe 6 or 8 of the Fed bulk so I bought my normal 4, carries better that way, 2 in each bag and a bag in each hand to keep you in balance, Noticed they did have some rifle ammo, did not check to see what and some White Box .38, .40 and .45 ACP but not many, and headed home to make dinner.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun May 03, 2009 9:57 pm

bearandoldman said" so I bought my normal 4, carries better that way, 2 in each bag and a bag in each hand to keep you in balance" Nothing about the socks and underwear whatsoever! Sounds like ammo hoarding to me :shock:

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 03, 2009 10:26 pm

I'm sure there was some underwear in those bags. Besides, you can't be hoarding when you have a hungry Henry and some ravenous 10/22's. :lol: