For Your Safety-Handcuffs

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

For Your Safety-Handcuffs

Post by greener » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:34 am

Every time I hear the phrase "for your convenience" or "for your safety" it usually means a sugar-coated way to charge you more or deny some activity. I heard this one from the participant yesterday.

If you have a concealed carry permit, it will be included in information the police in your state of residence pull up about you. A guy in Seattle was in sight of the office to renew the slightly expired tags on his truck when he was stopped by the police. The officer asked if he was carrying. When he said yes, he was ordered to get out of the truck very slowly. The handgun was removed to the officer's car and the guy was handcuffed for his safety. When the officer learned that he was on his way to renew the tags, the cuffs were removed and the handgun was returned.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: For Your Safety-Handcuffs

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:46 am

greener wrote:Every time I hear the phrase "for your convenience" or "for your safety" it usually means a sugar-coated way to charge you more or deny some activity. I heard this one from the participant yesterday.

If you have a concealed carry permit, it will be included in information the police in your state of residence pull up about you. A guy in Seattle was in sight of the office to renew the slightly expired tags on his truck when he was stopped by the police. The officer asked if he was carrying. When he said yes, he was ordered to get out of the truck very slowly. The handgun was removed to the officer's car and the guy was handcuffed for his safety. When the officer learned that he was on his way to renew the tags, the cuffs were removed and the handgun was returned.
That officer may be a little over cautious, possibly due to a previous bad experience. I believe I have been stopped maybe 3 times but never cited with a violation. Hands on wheel in plain sight advised them I had a CPL and was armed. Was never asked to see the gun, just gave them Driver license and CPL. One Sheriff Sgt stopped me once and asked me if I knew why he stopped me and I told him, yes, I was speeding. Honesty pays and he did not cite me, just told me to slow down and enjoy my trip.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:05 pm

I was stopped once, a long time ago for a inattentive act while driving. The officer walked up asked if I was carrying at the time, but I wasn't. After a few moments of polite conversation between us he sent me on my way with a verbal warning. I believer some of our conversation that night was directed in a manner as to check and see if I had been drinking that evening, but I had not.

I believe person's attitude plays a big part in the outcome when dealing with officers and traffic stops. Folks can make things much worse when they act belligerently toward an officer who's just trying to do his job well. Sure there's some officers who come on too strong but if you're polite to them they usually tone down as the conversation progresses. I don't blame them - consider who they mainly deal with, and the possible outcome, if they're not on proper guard with whomever they encounter.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Bullseye wrote:I was stopped once, a long time ago for a inattentive act while driving. The officer walked up asked if I was carrying at the time, but I wasn't. After a few moments of polite conversation between us he sent me on my way with a verbal warning. I believer some of our conversation that night was directed in a manner as to check and see if I had been drinking that evening, but I had not.

I believe person's attitude plays a big part in the outcome when dealing with officers and traffic stops. Folks can make things much worse when they act belligerently toward an officer who's just trying to do his job well. Sure there's some officers who come on too strong but if you're polite to them they usually tone down as the conversation progresses. I don't blame them - consider who they mainly deal with, and the possible outcome, if they're not on proper guard with whomever they encounter.

R,
Bullseye
Right you are Bullseye, might just as well be truthful instead of trying to lie, what the Hell, you are already caught.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:19 am

Several years ago the owner of a diner was voicing his absolute fury over being given a ticket after he turned in to his driveway. He showed me the ticket with the name of the young officer out to make a name for himself. Turned out to be my son. When I got home I asked him if giving a guy a ticket in his driveway wasn't a bit stiff. He said that after you run the stop sign and the officer approaches it is not a good idea to roll down the window and say "What the F... do you want?"

A kind word, turneth away wrath, as they say.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:49 am

greener wrote:Several years ago the owner of a diner was voicing his absolute fury over being given a ticket after he turned in to his driveway. He showed me the ticket with the name of the young officer out to make a name for himself. Turned out to be my son. When I got home I asked him if giving a guy a ticket in his driveway wasn't a bit stiff. He said that after you run the stop sign and the officer approaches it is not a good idea to roll down the window and say "What the F... do you want?"

A kind word, turneth away wrath, as they say.
Well, guess he found out.A kind word goes a long way. I try to be gentleman until pushed too far, mess with Me or Bear and you will find out too am not a kind old man all of the time.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:49 pm

I think the best bet is to be calm and courteous. Any complaints should be handled formally after the fact. The officer is approaching your vehicle, can't see everything in the vehicle, usually doesn't know who you are and probably has a good adrenalin rush and high pulse rate. No reason to add to it.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:15 am

greener wrote:I think the best bet is to be calm and courteous. Any complaints should be handled formally after the fact. The officer is approaching your vehicle, can't see everything in the vehicle, usually doesn't know who you are and probably has a good adrenalin rush and high pulse rate. No reason to add to it.
Keeping both hands on the wheel and advising him you have a CPL and are armed, seemed to make him feel better both times I was stopped, never was cited.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:36 am

My youngest son is a Sheriffs Deputy and former Marine. He tells me that attitude is usually the determining factor for him, when it comes to issuing a traffic ticket or not. The other, more important factor, is the seriousness of the infraction.

He does his best to be polite and respectiful when he stops someone and expects at least reasonable behavior from the person he is dealing with. If they have a nasty attitude towards him and try to con him, then he doesn't feel bad writing the ticket. On the other hand, he would rather let polite drivers go with just a verbal or written warning. He knows a ticket fine can be a real burden to some people's budget and he believes just stopping some people and pointing out their mistake is as effective as writing that ticket. And then he has those who are habitual offenders, like the woman who begged him not to give her a speed ticket (75 in a 45) because she just got two speeding tickets the week before.

There was a time when I thought I would like to have been a cop. That could never happen because of issues beyond my control, but since those days, I have had the opportunity to ride with my son on a number of occasions and it has been an eye opener when it comes to the things they frequently deal with. I actually worry more about him, then I did my next oldest Marine son, who deployed to Iraq three times.

Shoot, I didn't mean to turn this into an entire chapter.

Yleefox

By the way, he is one hundred percent in favor of law abiding citizens being armed.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:54 am

Yleefox wrote:
Yleefox

By the way, he is one hundred percent in favor of law abiding citizens being armed.
Most LEO's that I have come int contact with, whether it is at the range or any place else have the same opinion and pay no attention th the fact that we are both armed. When I was stopped for speeding and the officer came to the car and asked me if I knew why He stopped me, I told him that I was speeding. Why try to lie as it will not do any one any good. You have to be dedicated to be a good LEO. A job that I would never be able to handle.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:55 am

bearandoldman wrote:
Yleefox wrote:
Yleefox

Most LEO's that I have come int contact with, whether it is at the range or any place else have the same opinion and pay no attention th the fact that we are both armed. When I was stopped for speeding and the officer came to the car and asked me if I knew why He stopped me, I told him that I was speeding. Why try to lie as it will not do any one any good. You have to be dedicated to be a good LEO. A job that I would never be able to handle.
When you are stopped, they run the car license before they talk to you. If it is your car, you CPL shows up on the screen. If you are out of state, the CPL doesn't show. In Virginia you are required to give them your permit along with the driver's license and tell them if you have a firearm in the car. Probably a good idea if you are not required or are in a situation that the officer would notice your firearm. My son is 100% for CCW and says that those are not the folks he worries about.

If you have a beef with the officer the side of the road is probably not the best place to have that discussion.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:54 am

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
Yleefox wrote:
Yleefox

When you are stopped, they run the car license before they talk to you. If it is your car, you CPL shows up on the screen. If you are out of state, the CPL doesn't show. In Virginia you are required to give them your permit along with the driver's license and tell them if you have a firearm in the car. Probably a good idea if you are not required or are in a situation that the officer would notice your firearm. My son is 100% for CCW and says that those are not the folks he worries about.

If you have a beef with the officer the side of the road is probably not the best place to have that discussion.
Same rules apply here in Michigan, you might as well tell him because if he ran your plate before he came to the car, which is SOP, he already knows. That way you do not get caught up in telling untruths to the officer. I believe any time that I was ever stopped, I was doing something wrong.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Same rules here in Texas. You are required to present your CCL with you DL if your carring. Texas also has a law that allows an individual to carry a gun concealed in the car without a CCL. But it must be concealed. Then again you must inform the officer when asked for any thing he needs to know.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:46 am

Many years ago,well before CCL a deer hunter on his way home came up on a wounded "Officer Down" on the interstate with the criminal still on scene. Our hunter, once he understood the situation mortally wounded the bad guy,provided assistance, and was credited with saving the Officer's life. The hunter, when receiving a commendation said that he was glad that he was armed. This only made small local news. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:20 pm

This wasn't the kind of news they wanted us to hear. I'm sure the chemistry faculty at the school I did my post-doc would have roundly criticized the hunter. In 1975 the consensus among the these folks was that a woman who, after being raped and severely beaten, mortally wounded the perp with one round as he was shaking her child, was absolutely unjustified. I mentioned marksmanship medal and instantly became persona non grata in the faculty lounge.