Range Photo

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Range Photo

Post by greener » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:17 pm

I hadn't been shooting in a couple of weeks and decided that the 27° temp and 20 mph winds couldn't get in the way of an addiction. The winds didn't blow the bullets as bad as I'd like to be able to convince folks, but I did do a tad better with .45 than .22. Took this photo of the "lane" I was in. The front of the shed is low to keep folks from shooting over the berm. The yellow board covers a steel beam. The yellow board has a number of patched bullet holes and is being gnawed away at the bottom. The bullet holes extend up and into the top of the metal shed. I've never seen anyone shoot that high but every time I show up there are a few more holes in the building on this range. It's one of the reason I shoot with one eye on the target and one on the range. Look like Jack Elam when I leave.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:26 pm

4f after the wind chil here....all the warm weather left with you. and evidently it was my range card that went bad......so no shootinmg for me untill i get the new one :cry:

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:33 pm

And I thought it didn't open because the box recognized me in the car. :lol:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:12 pm

That's an interesting set up at that range. I've shot at a bunch of ranges that have baffles installed to prevent bullets from leaving the range unobstructed, one had a set up where each baffle was like shooting through a series of windows all the way to the targets. People still manage to shoot holes above the safety line. Heck, I even see holes in the bench too.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:00 pm

The Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries has a range with culverts to direct the fire at the Amelia preserve. I guess you shoot down a pipe. I've heard of them in other places. Never shot down one.

The yellow board gets patched frequently. It has a half-dozen patched .45 sized holes in it. I'm amazed at how they shoot the ceiling.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:05 pm

greener wrote:The Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries has a range with culverts to direct the fire at the Amelia preserve. I guess you shoot down a pipe. I've heard of them in other places. Never shot down one.

The yellow board gets patched frequently. It has a half-dozen patched .45 sized holes in it. I'm amazed at how they shoot the ceiling.
Gun shop just North of here has an indoor range 6 lanes and 4 lanes at 50 feet, nothing unusual, but they also have 2 50 yard and a 100 and a 200 yard indoor range, not like shooting down a tube but shooting down a concrete tube. the 50 yard ranges have target carrier's and use a 54 inch tube and the 100 and 200 have an indexable roll of targets and a closed circuit video monitor/spotting scope/
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:09 pm

greener wrote:And I thought it didn't open because the box recognized me in the car. :lol:
my card self desrtucted the moment I came within 10 feet of your truck :lol:

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:44 am

One of the things the building design does is to shade the inside more than most higher-roofed sheds. On bright, sunny days you feel like you are shooting from the dark to a bright light. Plays interesting games with old eyes.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:41 am

Shooting from the dark into the bright light takes some getting used to, it is much more difficult than one would expect. That wall also reflects a lot of blast sound back toward the shooter. The could reduce that effect a little by covering it in old carpet. Plus the holes would be harder to distinguish as the carpet tends to cover them up.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:56 am

Bullseye wrote:Shooting from the dark into the bright light takes some getting used to, it is much more difficult than one would expect. That wall also reflects a lot of blast sound back toward the shooter. The could reduce that effect a little by covering it in old carpet. Plus the holes would be harder to distinguish as the carpet tends to cover them up.

R,
Bullseye
Our range roof as with most is metal, but they have pieces of carpeting hanging in the rafters and it really does a good job of dampening the blast effect.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.