Hot guns

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Hot guns

Post by greener » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 pm

video firing tests M4 and M4A1. Wear gloves.

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/ ... 1-guns/?hp

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Interesting article. I have seen barrels glowing cherry red before. I even saw an example of it one day on the Military/History Channel where they were showing a daytime firefight and one shot approximately 1-2 seconds long had an M-16 with a glowing barrel in it. At first I saw it and thought, "Wow, was that barrel painted day-glow orange?" But I ran back the DVR and sure enough the barrel was glowing red.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:45 pm

That is pretty impressive...I would say that 500+ rounds in 2 minutes isn't all that bad for a tourture test result, but 940 rounds in 5 minutes is much better... either way the gun was fired at an unrealistic rate and held up fairly well, i guess the varmint shooters have been right all these years when they told us that a bull barrell dissipates heat better.
it is always fun to watch something get tested to failure....

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:32 am

Just in case you wanted to know how many rounds before the barrel melts or the handguard catches fire.

Someone at the range today had an M16-type full auto with a .22 upper. The .22 going full auto attracted some attention.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:18 am

those 22 uppers/conversions for the ar are a hoot to shoot