Cabela's running a Scam?????

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Cabela's running a Scam?????

Post by Bud33 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Was at Cabela's Web Site last night and was ordering some ammunition.
There was a deal offered that if I signed up for a Visa CC I could get instant approval and $15 credit on my order.
I spent 30 minutes or more filling out the application and submitted it...
I received a notice that there was a problem with the application (no mention of what) and it would take 7 to 10 days to receive approval.
I canceled the order immediately but the application containing some sensitive information had been sent.
I called them tonight and was told that they could not find the information but they would look for it. I told them I did not want their card and was told they couldn't cancel the application.
This means (as I see it) that I will get a Visa card that I do not want or need and to cancel it will put a mark on my credit report.
Has anyone else run into this problem???
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

perazzi

Re: Cabela's running a Scam?????

Post by perazzi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Bud33 wrote:Was at Cabela's Web Site last night and was ordering some ammunition.
There was a deal offered that if I signed up for a Visa CC I could get instant approval and $15 credit on my order.
I spent 30 minutes or more filling out the application and submitted it...
I received a notice that there was a problem with the application (no mention of what) and it would take 7 to 10 days to receive approval.
I canceled the order immediately but the application containing some sensitive information had been sent.
I called them tonight and was told that they could not find the information but they would look for it. I told them I did not want their cared and was told they couldn't cancel the application.
This means (as I see it) that I will get a Visa card that I do not want or need and to cancel it will put a mark on my credit report.
Has anyone else run into this problem???
Most likely there was a problem with credit authorization. You will probably receive a letter in the mail in a week or so stating the reason for it.

Everything is computerized now. You just have to wait for that ol' computer to finish spitting out the information. I don't think I would refer to it as a scam.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:51 am

Cabelas doesn't have the records for VISA they just get a confirmation code from them to apply the discount when the card application is approved. VISA is the one you'd have to contact to cancel the card application.

R,
Bullseye

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:13 am

Bullseye wrote:Cabelas doesn't have the records for VISA they just get a confirmation code from them to apply the discount when the card application is approved. VISA is the one you'd have to contact to cancel the card application.

R,
Bullseye
I did and they wouldn't!!!
Bud

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:22 am

It's possiable that the order you placed is on the card the reason you could not cancel. My need to wait till you get the card and then pull up the charges...
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:22 am

Keep a journal of your contacts with VISA. If they still send you a card after you've attempted to cancel the credit application then contact your State Attorney General's Office and lodge a complaint. Most states have a 72 hour cancellation clause (I'm not sure about Florida) which should help you with terminating the credit account.

R,
Bullseye

hutchman

Post by hutchman » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:13 pm

There just seems to be no end to the CC offers we get today. We just cut them up or say no. I have two cards I use, one for in person purchases and one for online only. The online card has no connection to my bank at all.....we try to keep the online stuff and the bank separate to limit the possibility of someone getting into the bank account.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:34 am

I had a link that I used to Opt Out on the CC offers. Which reduced them greatly. Then I called the CS on the cards that I had them stop sending me the Blank checks. Now instead of getting 2/day it's down to more like 1-2/mo.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

shooter57

Post by shooter57 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:58 am

The problem is where you sign up and where they issue the card from is not the same place and the info cannot catchup with the original application to cancel before being issued. I've had the same problem. Must wait for the card to be issued. Found the best way to get rid of it is DON"T ACTIVATE the card when you receive it.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online! That also sounds like good advice - don't activate it.

R,
Bullseye

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:26 pm

Shooter,
Thanks for your answer... Somehow that had not occurred to me it is the logical solution. . . . :roll:
Last edited by Bud33 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bud

mrfcobf

Post by mrfcobf » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:27 pm

Now THAT's funny right there. :lol:

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:18 pm

Just as I suspected, I received the cc in the mail today. . . No activation required...When I called to cancel the card I was told it would appear on my credit report. I tried to explain that I had not wanted the card under the circumstances and that made no difference. They were very generous to offer 15 POINTS on my membership.... THAT IS A LONG WAY FROM THE $15 THAT WAS OFFERER.
When I objected to having the card appear on my credit report, They said there was nothing they could do about it since they had issued the card.

IF YOU PLAN TO DEAL WITH CABELAS- - - BE VERY CAREFUL!

As for me, I will find elsewhere to do business.
Bud

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:55 pm

You have the right to respond to any thing that show up on your credit report. So you can add notes for those looking at it knows what happen. Canceling cards happen all the time, that the first I have heard of a neg impact on a credit report. I think I would contact one of the credit bureaus and find out for sure. Then you always have the option of filling a report with BBB, they don't like those neg either... So it can work both ways....
David

Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:59 pm

This whole thing sounds like the run-around to me. Cabelas sounds like they had the ability to cancel this card right from the start. I believe I'd call my State Atty General's Office about this one. Gee, what would have happened if your new card was intercepted in the mail by some nefarious person? Could anyone make charges on a card with no activation required? This may also be something to take up with VISA. They may not know that this is happening. They end up having to make up contested charges or unauthorized ones.

R,
Bullseye