Shooting Withdrawl

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mrfcobf

Shooting Withdrawl

Post by mrfcobf » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:11 am

I'm still a fairly new shooter. It has really been only about four months since I've taken up the hobby/obsession as an adult.

My son is sick, so I've been home taking care of him, and it has occurred to me that these three days has been the longest stretch without shooting since I started.

So how often do you all go shooting? When you go, how long do you stay? I know there is no 'normal' amount of time per day/week, but Id be curious to hear some answers to get an idea of a range from some fellow enthusiasts.

I shoot mostly .22's because of the cost. I have both a 22/45 Hunter and a .22 rifle. I also shoot a .380 Walther PPK/S.

Thanks!

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:00 am

I try to make it every other week or so, but I've been considering upping the visits based on the article here titled "22 substitutions":
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/sear ... l/Training

Here's a snippet
Failure drills are important, as is shooting with either hand. Being able to shoot accurately on the move with an adrenaline dump is the skillset to strive for though. This comes from being as familiar with the gun as we are with our automobile. Each day we get in a car and perform complex tasks based on time and space, often within mere feet of injury or death. We do it easily, without thinking. How? We do it every day, a little at a time, not by driving 500 miles once a month.
Shooting once a week would be a reasonable goal, although shooting .380acp every week would get pricey fast these days.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:40 am

Another good solution for range withdrawals is a good quality air pistol and a pellet trap. I have one set up out in the garage at my home and another in the shop. I can practice whenever I want without heading to the range.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:25 am

I shoot twice per month. 100 rounds of 9mm and 100+ of 22LF through my MKIII. I normally stay about 2 hr unless there is a shooting buddy with me and then it's when we get tired.

I use a airsoft gun around the house.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 am

I only get in once a month, if the weather's good on one weekend. I didn't make it in December, and this month doesn't look promising. It's an outdoor Forest Service range about thirty miles away, most of which is a state highway up a mountain.

The only in town option is an indoor range run by a bunch of picky Rambo wannabees. Ten bucks an hour, shabby condition. No thanks.

At least the FS range is free and well set up. I usually stay about 3-4 hours, and shoot 200-400 rounds (all .22). If it were more practical, I'd probably go once a week for less time and ammo.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm

I try to go once a week. I shoot .22 and centerfire. I rotate the types of .22 pistols and the type/caliber centerfire. Lucky to belong to a club that is available and to have the time to enjoy it. Between rain and snow I'm getting a bit behind on the weekly thing.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:07 am

I like to go once a week, but that doesn't always happen.....its been more like once a month lately... I always shoot at least 200 .22's and 50-200 centerfires, when I can get out between the weather, wife, kids and work. I at least try to go for an hour at least.