On the AR15.com forum

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

On the AR15.com forum

Post by gcp » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:09 pm

Has anyone else around here had issues at AR15.com? I've been a member of gun forums, such as this one, since the early 90s and have yet to be treated with such disrespect, and with such callousness and totally unwarranted heavy handedness emanating from their moderators.

I am very perplexed and would like to understand as to the true reasons such behavior is permitted, perpetrated, and tolerated by others as I'm confident I am not the only one with like negative experiences.

Don't want this to take a life of its own but I do welcome civilized and thoughtful responses for further discussion.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:48 am

I'm a member over there but I confess I do not spend much time on the forum. I saw signs way back that things were headed off track, like folks ripping on new members over their entry level questions and general lack of shooting experience. I also know that many folks came here from there and have commented on how friendly and civil our membership is here. All I can say is sometimes as things grow they lose perspective, I have seen this at several of the major web forums. This is one reason why I closely monitor this forum. Not to be overbearing and dictatorial but to help keep everyone on a non-confrontational footing and remember to be helpful to new shooters because they are the future of our sport. I only wish others (on other forums) would follow our example but that doesn't always happen.

R,
Bullseye

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:37 am

I've been on forums where there's NO moderation, and things go to Helen A. Handbasket PDQ.

I'm on another forum where the moderators are just that little bit TOO conscientious and any humorous comments or the slightest deviation from the topic brings down the Wrath of Supermoderator. I still visit there because the quality of the information is top-notch, but it's not much fun.

This forum has the mix just right, IMHO. Loose enough to be fun, tight enough to stay pretty much on-topic and keep the whackjobs out (except me, of course... :D )

Thanks for this place, Bullseye, and keep up the good work!
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

glockeyed

Post by glockeyed » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:05 pm

im glad i skipped arfcom, and straight to m4carbine.net. I remember feeling that way about glocktalk. i didn't stay there too long.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:59 am

Forum moderation can be a dicey matter, and requires maturity to handle properly, so kudos should go to our own for knowing what this right balance is. But it does not take a great deal of foresight to be able to distinguish between allowing people to call the USA president, or any president, or not, for that matter, a b@st@rd, and take no action, while yet lowering the boom on someone for calling the AR rifles "pink plastic", knowing fully well manufacturers do make pink plastic rifles to attract our female shooters (or even those of us boys who tend to like pink :oops: ).

I've been a member there since 2001 and it's never been the polite platform a forum ought to be so I didn't frequent much, even though there's a tremendous amount of knowledge that can be gained on black guns. But it seems to me that now that they've grown their forum exists to only promote and sell product rather than allow truthful exchange of information about particular AR manufacturers and shooting, in a gentlemanly manner. My Hellenic ancestors used to say "before the Gods bring you down they bless you with arrogance". Lets see how long it'll take......
Last edited by gcp on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:02 am

glockeyed, I recently became a member of m4carbin, thanks for the hint!

glockeyed

Post by glockeyed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:24 pm

no problem gcp, and you're right about moderation. You couldn't pay me to mod a board again. i did one for a truck years ago, and ended up not visiting much.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:53 am

I've been a member of deer and deer hunting.com for about two weeks now. I logged in one time just to log back off becuase there's no order to the forum and it's toooo big. I love this forum becuase its neat and organized. GOOD JOB administration!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks guys! I try to keep everyone happy. Shooting is supposed to be an enjoyable sport.

R,
Bullseye