At Home Carry

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

At Home Carry

Post by arizona-hermit » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:43 pm

24 x 7.

I live way out in the county and have multiple sightings of persons of unknown lineage/heritage without appropriate documentation to effect legal entry into this once sovereign nation daily.

Home invasions and murder are not as uncommon as I would prefer in this area and I believe it is my right/responsibility to protect and defend myself and my family. Average police (county sheriff actually) response time is well over an hour (I live in a VERY large county) and it only takes a moment to get into more trouble than you can get out of.

Am I paranoid? I do not believe so... I simply prefer to have the appropriate means to provide for defense at hand at all times.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:20 am

By NO Means.

Home invasions are quite common in the city. Most of us these days have a gun on us or near the door besides scattered out through our house. Being isolated in the country is no different.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:58 am

From what I've seen on the news, if I lived in parts of country near the southern border, I'd be a bit more apt to have something very close by. I live in an area where kids knocking over mail boxes are the big crimes, and I keep a couple handguns in easy places to get to. I know if I thought there was a greater chance of needing one, they would be located for quicker, faster access, including in my pocket.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away. In your case, many minutes.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: At Home Carry

Post by Medicine Hat » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:48 am

arizona-hermit wrote:24 x 7.

Am I paranoid? I do not believe so... I simply prefer to have the appropriate means to provide for defense at hand at all times.
I don't think you are paranoid. I live at the foot of the Blue Mts. in SE WA state. I an frequently in the mountains for many reasons, often alone. There are several large illegal marijuana grow operations scattered throughout the area. All are stafffed during the grow season, and those folks shoot as soon as they see anyone.
In short, I always carry. Even to pick huckleberries, of just woods loafing.
I'm not worried about gray wolves, or bears or cougars that are in the area. But two legged predators are definitely a threat. Seems the law enforcement can only find " where they have been", never the actual perpatrators.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Cripes... here I thought I was replying to the previous thread about at home carry and I somehow (magically) created my own thread.

Sorry about that.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

when seconds count the police are minutes away.....

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:54 pm

my patrol area is about 144 square miles, I can't be every where all the time. A high court justice told a man once (sorry can't cite the case) "the police are NOT responsible for you protection 24/7, I suggest you get a gun"
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: when seconds count the police are minutes away.....

Post by Medicine Hat » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:my patrol area is about 144 square miles, I can't be every where all the time. A high court justice told a man once (sorry can't cite the case) "the police are NOT responsible for you protection 24/7, I suggest you get a gun"
My appologies if I offended. I surely didn't mean to. I have the highest respect for law enforcement, and I know that they are overextended. Bottom line, the only person resposible for my well being, is me.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Medicine Hat wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:my patrol area is about 144 square miles, I can't be every where all the time. A high court justice told a man once (sorry can't cite the case) "the police are NOT responsible for you protection 24/7, I suggest you get a gun"
My appologies if I offended. I surely didn't mean to. I have the highest respect for law enforcement, and I know that they are overextended. Bottom line, the only person resposible for my well being, is me.
Not offended one bit. and wasn't trying to sound offended. more of a commentary of a comment made by a judge in federal court. I was surprised to read that ruling made by an appeals judge in a case where the PD was getting sued over not getting to a home invasion in time to stop the zombies from eating the vitims brains...... (it wasn't REALLY zombies) the judge ruled that the police are not responsible for keepping you safe from bad guys unless gross negligence is evident in their response....

-John Wayne

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:02 am

I totally understand your position. I too have the utmost respect for all those that put their lives on the line on a daily basis. My county sheriff's office is woefully understaffed (and underfunded - as are most things these days) and they are responsible for 6,218 square miles of real estate (of which, only 49 square miles is water). They are very pro-gun (including Class 3 and suppressors) and while we do not consider ourselves still living in the 'cowboy' era, we homeowners out of the cities firmly believe in our responsibilities to defend ourselves.

No police force in the free world can protect all their citizens all the time, and as you have so correctly cited, it is not even their jobs to do so.

I truly meant no offense, and take none.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:03 am

No offense taken whatsoever......

I probably heard the "what took you so long" way too many times before I replied.... and that's from my kids!

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:39 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:No offense taken whatsoever......

I probably heard the "what took you so long" way too many times before I replied.... and that's from my kids!
Similar to what I've seen as one argument for CCW, "when seconds count, the police will be there in minutes."

You guys do an amazing job, but you can't be everywhere at once.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols