Wiggly afternoon

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Wiggly afternoon

Post by ruger22 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:58 pm

A 6.0 quake hit just south of Charlottesville, VA about 1:50 this afternoon. I was sitting in my bathroom floor, putting in a sink drain. It felt like an elephant running through the house, or a giant Harley was parked on my roof. Just lasted a little over a minute, here.

I went around the outside of the house checking, and looked in the basement for elephants..... :lol:

About half an hour later the TV news finally reported some details. We've had some small quakes in VA, but I don't remember any that were even this strong.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Everyone has their shorts in a knot over a 5-6 magnitude quake. Greener probably took a shaking. It doesn't appear that this one did any real damage on the unseismically prepared east coast. Building codes in the east are nowhere near what they are in the west earthquake proofing-wise. I spent a lot of time in California and that size barely gets a notice just like in the movie "L.A. Story" folks just go on about their business as things shake around them. I was at Ft. Ord, on the rifle range, during the SF quake in 1989, now that was a good one. Sure there aren't very many quakes on the east coast but the Appalachians (fold mountains) got formed somehow. This quake wasn't too far from the Blue Ridge I imagine a few of them formed that chain too.

R,
Bullseye

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

new excuses

Post by Coach1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:53 pm

OK So from North Carolina through Virgina and all the way to NY State.. we can all have a legitimate excuse for those fliers on the range.. no more limited to wind, sun, gnats, etc.

Now we have... The Earth MOVED!
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

greener

Re: new excuses

Post by greener » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Coach1 wrote:OK So from North Carolina through Virgina and all the way to NY State.. we can all have a legitimate excuse for those fliers on the range.. no more limited to wind, sun, gnats, etc.

Now we have... The Earth MOVED!
Thought Carole King was around

I felt the earth move under my feet
I felt the sky come trembling down
I felt my heart start a trembling

I was on the phone with bgreene and thought one of the roof top air handlers had bounced loose. Cell phones went out, except for mine. Really exciting. Scared me so much I missed my afternoon nap at work, the one from 1-5 . :lol:

Hurricane, Saturday? All we need now is fire and brimstone out of the west.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 am

4.2 aftershock at 8:05 PM last night. I was so scared I passed out from terror at about 11:30 last night and stayed that way until 5:30 AM.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:12 am

greener wrote:4.2 aftershock at 8:05 PM last night. I was so scared I passed out from terror at about 11:30 last night and stayed that way until 5:30 AM.
You got it rough there bud, especially not getting your afternoon nap yesterday. Got me thinking of a new excuse fur for my poor shooting, the target and I are moving out of sync.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:19 am

greener wrote:I passed out from terror at about 11:30 last night and stayed that way until 5:30 AM.
A sure sign of PTS if I ever heard one. You better rush out and put in a claim disability before it's all gone. :shock:

Interestingly enough I saw a seismic map of Virginia today and it shows two geologically active zones; one near Blacksburg, and the other near Charlottesville. Lots of clusters of earthquakes in those areas, mostly in the 1800's. Of course what did they build right in the zone near Charlottesville? A nuclear power plant!

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:59 am

I did some looking and got some info on the New Madrid fault line. It's eartquake zone covers parts of Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi. Six times the size of the San Andreas fault zone. There is also a line called the Ramapo fault, through Pennsylvania and New Jersey. They are connected by several other smaller faults, one of which slipped yesterday.

The New Madrid had a series of four quakes in 1811-1812 that are guessed to have been in the 6.5-7.5 range. One made church bells ring in Boston! Two were strong enough that the Mississippi flowed backwards for several minutes. Good luck at the time that hardly anyone lived around the quakes' centers.

By the usual 150 year cycle of quakes, both California and the East are way overdue for whopper quakes. The East will be in worse shape because the building codes aren't written for quake resistance.

Okay kids, class dismissed!......... :D
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:42 am

I heard that this quake was along (ready for this :?: )........

.................."BUSH'S FAULT" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don

(I'll go sit down and be quiet now. :roll:)
I know nothing.......

greener

Post by greener » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Gatmandu wrote:I heard that this quake was along (ready for this :?: )........

.................."BUSH'S FAULT" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don

(I'll go sit down and be quiet now. :roll:)
Yes, it joins the Not My