You guys post too much....

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

You guys post too much....

Post by ruger22 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Man, it's taking me all of thirty seconds here to read "posts since last visit" every day. Better than the hour or more it takes to skim the Ruger Forum, 200 plus posts a day.

I'm considering getting that time back and dropping off of RF. I'm finding that some of the RF members are a bit high and mighty in their opinions of themselves. I've noticed even Bullseye getting some very undeserved static on some of his posts there.

I've learned more and enjoyed the company more here on GTOL. Even if you guys only do three posts a day......... :D ..
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Quality and not quantity is our motto, have a good day, eh?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:19 pm

should I post pictures of new toys?

Do you spend any time on rimfirecentral?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:25 pm

I like RFC but you get some folks that get a bit "brand myopic" or the "if it isn't brand/model x it is no good" crowd at times. I guess thats everywhere though.

I think there is more folks that are lurkers than posters here. and that is ok.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:26 pm

Posting does seem to have slowed down a bit. I don't have real stats. Not sure why. Maybe Bullseye has solved all the technical problems.

bg, I agree with the rather fierce brand loyalty at RFC. Some of it is pretty good. If you have a P22, hard to beat M1911. In some other areas there are some "experts" who know less than I do.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:42 pm

the folks who say " a savage is no good because it isn't an anshutz" or "the p22 is junk because it isn't a model 41" get a bit annoying at times but there are quite a few , like m1911, who really knows their stuff. I think people forget that guns come in all different flavors (like ice cream ) because every body likes a different flavor.

a savage is a very accurate rifle out of the box for a lot less $$ than an anshutz. and a p22 is fot a different purpose than a model 41. imho.

BTW I think that the nicer the weather the lower the post count.... so I have noticed
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 pm

I left RFC do to one person. He had a problem when I asked for more detail on his test procedure and discovered he was not testing like it should have been. He corrected his procedure but did not like me bring it to the front. The funny part if you can say it, I sent him an pm to get detail without doing it publicly, thinking he just wrote it up wrong. He would not even respond. Other member came to my rescue on many topics. And that just make him madder finding I was in the right. I just decided to leave instead of put up with his big head.

There are some good people over there, but it just takes 1 bad apple to ruin it for all.

The weather is starting to cool off and more people are getting out.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:40 pm

I saw some of that. I thought he was getting a bit personal.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:41 pm

I don't post much on any of the other rimfire forums, at least like I used to a few years back. I figure that is why some of the new members out there want to be combative at times. I also have grown a little weary of answering the exact same questions over and over again from folks too inexperienced to use the search feature on most forum software. I am not including GTOL in this category, you folks are all great. It is the other forums that I am referring to about static. I do once and a while find a person in genuine need of assistance and tend to respond to those postings. Of course there's always someone who's clearly more experienced than myself (or believes they are) who feels the need to chime in and counter my advice, but that's just the nature of the beast. Most folks, especially the new ones, have no idea who "Bullseye" or my other forum name version "Bullseye57" is. This is not their fault, they just don't know me or the level of advice I tend to provide. I look at it this way, they can choose to listen to my advice or not, it is ultimately up to them. I cannot begin to describe how many personal emails I get begging for assistance or advice per month. I just don't have as much time on my hands to sit and read all the rantings of the other forums. I do get to this one at least twice a day, workload permitting. So if you don't hear from me right away, just wait a little while and check back again. One thing about me, if I don't have something useful or jovial to say about some topic, I don't post. But hey, that's just me being me.
8)

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:39 am

I agree with bg and Greener... When I first got into the shooting sports, I did not like how a lot of the other forums tended to engage in "brand-warfare." Now that I have been involved in this stuff for a little while, I admit I have developed my own bias on certain subjects, but I do not project them upon others who do not specifically ask me. That is the main reason I only visit this forum and occasionally manufacturer specific forums like glock-talk; people here at GTOL have integrity, and I expect people on glock-talk to have an affinity for GLOCKs.

As far as posting, this forum is definitely low quantity, but extremely high quality, which I think is fantastic. In my case, I tend to have the same philosophy as Bullseye -- if I cant add constructive information to a topic or say something clever, I'm not going to post. And as far as my being able to add constructive information, I know a little bit about Ruger .22 autoloaders, 1911s, GLOCKs, and Dillon 550 reloading presses, and there are also many, many, folks here that are far more knowledgeable regarding that stuff. So personally, the topics I can contribute to are extremely limited, and truth be told 70% of the knowledge I have on these items is from asking questions on GTOL.

That being said, the lion's share of my "contributions" to this forum are mostly limited to asking questions, which I am highly appreciative for Bullseye and other individuals for answering. I am able to answer someone's question once in a blue moon, but my main hope regarding my activity within this forum is that others do stumble upon the things I've asked and perhaps glean something from the fantastic answers that all of you provide me.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

My vent

Post by stork » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:09 am

We seem to be in agreement, Gentlemen. I'm among the ones who get tired of ill informed rants against their sacred cows. Too many newbies read these rant's and absorb that info as gospel, because "They saw it on the internet, so it must be true".

There are a lot of shooters out there who are not into precision Bullseye shooting. Their pistol shooting leads them in a different direction. As long as we have

Anyone who has been around this game for a while, knows every manufacturer has had at one time or another, a lemon. This is going to happen with every manufactured product out there, and I'm fine with that, I know its going to happen. I'm not happy about it when it happens to me, and I may vent my frustrations, but I understand it.

Personally I don't like polymer framed guns, I've been shooting steel firearms all my life (must also include aluminum, now that I own AR's). I don't like the long, usually heavy, usually gritty triggers. I have handled plenty of polymers and the only thing I like is the larger capacity for weight they offer for a carry pistol. I have carried either a Ruger 45LC or Colt 1911 compact for nearly 30 years and have never felt I wasn't carrying enough rounds.

I don't like manufacturers that send out the door firearms that are so roughly fitted that it will take hundreds of rounds and thousands of cycles to smooth out. I'm disappointed in them looking for the cheapest way to build something, although I'm enough of a realist to see the necessity for it. I still get a thrill when cycling the old Krag actions and Mannlicher Schoenauer,s (sp). the level of machining and hand fitting is mind boggling.

I don't own one firearm with an untouched trigger, most of which I did myself over the course of 35 years. Yes I've goofed up, and no, no one was ever injured or killed, but the only thing wounded was my pride. But I learned, and so will newbies. I love Remington 700s, especially those made in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Enough said, rant mode now off.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:31 am

I had done some lurking on Rimfire Central, without signing up. I had reasoned that with my being all rimfire these days, it would be my ideal forum. Seemed to be mostly a younger, "know-it-all" crowd for the most part. I noticed the brand loyalty, too. A lot of sniping back and forth. So, no thanks.

Ruger Forum, I've learned, seems to have a few cliques that have to "run the show". If you are a new member, whom they think will be easily impressed, you get attention. If you are a serious collector, or just have a very large "collection", you're in.

I'm small potatoes with only seven guns. I express my opinions, and I don't drool over their gold plated ones. I don't shovel praise on the photos of their big dollar custom guns. Sure they're nice, but I wouldn't triple my investment in a gun to make it prettier or shoot 20% better.

So every post after one of mine is commenting on posts before mine.

You guys are a down-home bunch, and everyone here has the same "status" with everyone else. I appreciate that, I'm sure we all do.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:37 am

Good thread. I check in here pretty often, but don't really post much. That is just me. Seems to be a great group of folks here.
I agree about some of the other forums, most of which I rarely, if ever go to due to the issues already mentioned here.
Keep up the good work folks.
Thanks for a good forum.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:10 pm

I have been checking out Rimfire Central for a few months now, and pretty much agree with everyone here about that forum. I think the problem over there is there there are just to many people posting, you end up with a lot of very different opinions and a small percentage of good use full information. There is a broader range of information on Rimfire Central, but I know for sure the MKII and MKIII information here is the best there is. I don't shoot much other than shooting my MKIII, so I don't read a lot on other topics. I have mentioned to people on Rimfire Central who need help, to check out GunTalkOnline, but a few of the times, other people replied that they don't need to go to Gun Talk Online, which I really didn't understand.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:30 pm

There is no posting quotas here at GTOL. Post if you please, or not, it's all good.

I read everything that gets posted here, every now and then I fix a typo or two or a hanging <html> tag, but I never change or delete anyone's input. This forum exists for one purpose, for you all to enjoy. There are no sponsors (other than myself), no product placement (I don't even mention my own services), or advertising of any kind. In short, I personally get nothing but the satisfaction of seeing folks with a common cause come together in discussion, bond, and share ideas. Every once and a while I get lucky and help someone through a problem. I'm a simple man and that's all I need for satisfaction.

R,
Bullseye