The Nobama Speech today

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

The Nobama Speech today

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 pm

All he has sent to Congress is: universal background check, 10 round mag limit, "assault rifle" ban, including manufacture. Details and definitions would have been nice.

He also signed 23 "Executive Actions", most of which seem to be just window dressing that looks good on paper:

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:00 pm

With the references to politicians, and their"pets", It appears that the nut-cases now have all the keys to the assylum.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Most of the "Actions" seem just window dressing, they look good for him on paper.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:42 pm

With all the new laws, it sure makes things confusing. But do they make me safer from a bad guy?
Haka

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Instead of a new thread, I'll add this link to this one. It's a good read on gun
control.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... /301150318

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02 pm

most of them seem like no brainer things that should already be happening already....

HIPPA should not be an issue of a shrink reporting that a nut is a dangerous nut...... of course if one is deemed a dangerous nut (a filbert perhaps) he shalll have the right to challenge that.

The BATFE should have a director and the feds should be nore forthcoming with info . the FBI is notorious for not sharing info and the outcomes being really bad because of it. A bank robbery in Grand Rapids, mi last year, where the Agents were tailing the robbers at the time and they didn't call the local police for back up AT ALL and a big chase and running gunbattle ensued where a Walker PD officer was killed by the robbers because of it.

The CDC getting involved in gun violence what does the CDC have to do with it?

Standards for gun locks and gun lockers? And the "smart gun" debacle again??? great I trust a battery to work when I need my gun the most....

now the one that stands out to me it the Gun Safety and responsibility programs now the NRA has been doing this for years the Government should contract that out to the NRA. now wouldn't that be ironic, Obama giving anything to the NRA.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:57 pm

These will do nothing to solve the problem. Law breakers don't care what the law says. Last time I checked murder was against the law, has been since ancient times (Like Cain and Able) but that doesn't seem to have solved the murdering problem. Why would anyone logically think this type of legislation is going to make a difference? There's plenty of data to show that the last one had very little impact on crime.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Bullseye wrote:These will do nothing to solve the problem. Law breakers don't care what the law says. Last time I checked murder was against the law, has been since ancient times (Like Cain and Able) but that doesn't seem to have solved the murdering problem. Why would anyone logically think this type of legislation is going to make a difference? There's plenty of data to show that the last one had very little impact on crime.

R,
Bullseye
I seems like they're grasping at straws to find a solution. I dont' beleive they will find a solution by making more laws, like you mentioned, murder is already against the law. It's like putting a third bandaid on an infected wound. I think the problems are deep seeded in our society, and began when people started moving away from morality. Many single parent homes, for one reason or another, don't have time to love, nurture, and discipline children. Also, society has taken mental health care options away from those who need it. If a problem can't be seen, it's not there, so our society says. I don't think there's an easy fix to the problems, but taking guns away from law abiding citizens is like putting that bandaid on wound that doesn't exist.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:27 pm

All taking firearms from lawful citizens does is keep the "victims" pool freshly stocked with new fish.

R,
Bullseye

3strokes

Post by 3strokes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:46 pm

Hakaman wrote:
Bullseye wrote:These will do nothing to solve the problem. Law breakers don't care what the law says. Last time I checked murder was against the law, has been since ancient times (Like Cain and Able) but that doesn't seem to have solved the murdering problem. Why would anyone logically think this type of legislation is going to make a difference? There's plenty of data to show that the last one had very little impact on crime.

R,
Bullseye
I seems like they're grasping at straws to find a solution. I dont' beleive they will find a solution by making more laws, like you mentioned, murder is already against the law. It's like putting a third bandaid on an infected wound. I think the problems are deep seeded in our society, and began when people started moving away from morality. Many single parent homes, for one reason or another, don't have time to love, nurture, and discipline children. Also, society has taken mental health care options away from those who need it. If a problem can't be seen, it's not there, so our society says. I don't think there's an easy fix to the problems, but taking guns away from law abiding citizens is like putting that bandaid on wound that doesn't exist.
If 20,000 laws don't get the job done, let's make'em 20,001 (or 20,034) Laws.

On a school district street, the max speed limit is 30 mph.
But there are neighbor teens constantly racing down the street doing 80 mph.
The Solution:
Lower the max speed limit to 25 mph.
Simple. No?
Member NRA, CSSA and NFA (the last two in Canada).

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Good analogy, 3strokes and welcome to the forum. On your speed limit conversation, when I lived in New Orleans they were death on speed limits in school zones. Got a ticket for 27 in a 25mph school zone and no pity from the judge. Everyone slowed down. Enforcing the laws on the books seems to achieve the desired results.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:51 pm

I don't think gun control has been about protecting citizens from criminals and crazies. Gun control is a liberal touchstone. It is about controlling the population and making them more dependent on the government. I think this one will die down with a bit of erosion. The Washington Republicans will cave a bit on registration. We'll wait a few years and the libs will renew the assault and a few more nibbles will be taken out of the 2nd Amendment.

The "reasonable" gun control initiatives are nothing more than advertising. The trouble is, a good number of the public buys into a little bit of them. It takes staying on your elected representatives, even the die-hard libs, to slow this erosion.

3strokes

Post by 3strokes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:57 pm

greener wrote:Good analogy, 3strokes and welcome to the forum. On your speed limit conversation, when I lived in New Orleans they were death on speed limits in school zones. Got a ticket for 27 in a 25mph school zone and no pity from the judge. Everyone slowed down. Enforcing the laws on the books seems to achieve the desired results.
In Canada we blame revolving door (not Justice but) Legal System.
You're a criminal, Sir? No problem, Sir. I am ---for the fourth time---, judging that you be barred from owning or being in the vicinity of Firearms. Bailiff, set him free and see that he's not tailed out of the courthouse. We have to protect his privacy when he goes in a dark alley and purchases a half dozen guns.

You Sir. You are here for forgetting to renew your firearm license. It expired this morning at 00:01 after midnight. All your firearms, guns magazines (to load or to read), ammo, holsters, optics, stocks, grips, blanks, safes and anything gun-related (including your nail-guns) are forfeit to the Crown and I will let you go without a jail sentence. I'm doing it this way so that the Crown can appeal your being let go and you, Sir, will spend the next ten years in and out of courthouses until you sell your soul to the Company Store, I mean, The Legal System and you owe your lawyers their fees for the next 300 years of your descendants' lives. WE like to call it Punishment by Process when the Process is more onerous than trying to defend yourself. In Canada's legal system, based on British Common Law you're presumed to be innocent until proven guilty....... EXCEPT if you're a gun (paper) criminal.

3strokes

Post by 3strokes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:02 pm

greener wrote:I don't think gun control has been about protecting citizens from criminals and crazies. Gun control is a liberal touchstone. It is about controlling the population and making them more dependent on the government. I think this one will die down with a bit of erosion. The Washington Republicans will cave a bit on registration. We'll wait a few years and the libs will renew the assault and a few more nibbles will be taken out of the 2nd Amendment.

The "reasonable" gun control initiatives are nothing more than advertising. The trouble is, a good number of the public buys into a little bit of them. It takes staying on your elected representatives, even the die-hard libs, to slow this erosion.
It's all about civil disarmament. Take away the 2nd and the 1st (or v.v.) since one cannot protect the other without the one that is to protect or be protected.

You're not alone down there in the US. We know how you feel. We've been envying you your 2nd A for some twenty+ years. We're just turning a small corner. For the 1st time in History, a gun-control law has been repealed. The registration of long-guns.