Read about "Karamojo" Bell

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Read about "Karamojo" Bell

Post by charlesb » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:03 pm

W.D.M Bell brought down over 1,000 elephants during his career, most often with brain shots taken with a 7x57 Mauser.

http://archive.org/details/wanderingsofelep1923bell

Good reading!

I went to Amazon.com and downloaded the free "Kindle for PC" application, then at the internet archive ( link given ) , I chose the Kindle version of this great book.

All for free. Enjoy!

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Larry Potterfield from MidwayUSA has these short stories about a couple of his adventures. I just read them today, coincidentally:

http://www.midwayusa.com/larrys-stories

3strokes

Post by 3strokes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Hakaman wrote:Larry Potterfield from MidwayUSA has these short stories about a couple of his adventures. I just read them today, coincidentally:
Speaking of this Larry Potterfield, he makes the most useless How-To videos on Youtube.
If we search for How-to videos it's because we want to learn the details, and not make mistakes.
The way he gives his "lessons" is as if the viewer (me for instance) had all the experience in the world and just needed that little final touch.
If he was giving a lesson on surgical appendectomies, his lesson would go like this, "You take the patient and lay him down on the table, then you take a scalpel and after cutting him open and having all his vital organs out, you reach the appendix and cut it out. And that's the way it is."
Member NRA, CSSA and NFA (the last two in Canada).

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:00 pm

That was funny about Potterfields "How-To" videos. - You hit the nail on the head there, 3strokes.

I have always enjoyed reading books about hunting and exploring in Africa - and almost all of the best stuff is now out of copyright. The only problem is that most of them are also long out of print - but the Internet Archive has most of the best books preserved in electronic format now, and easily accessible to anyone with a computer.