My rant: "Universal" background checks......

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:44 pm

it will be intersting to see how the supreme court rules on the NY (un)SAFE act challenge. Also the ramifications on other states AWB/Mag cap/ UBC laws that have been passed IF/WHEN SCOTUS shoots down the act as a 2nd Amendment violation.....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Is that an option you can exercise, or something all of us will have to follow? I'd do for the former but fear it would turn into the latter.

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 am

Jack Here in our Oregon, there has been an 800 number where an individual can do a background. No paper required, just report numbers. At the dealers, it is real slick by computer nowadays. I was in and out at Gun Pro and SM real quick recently.
Jack

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Hardball wrote:Jack Here in our Oregon, there has been an 800 number where an individual can do a background. No paper required, just report numbers. At the dealers, it is real slick by computer nowadays. I was in and out at Gun Pro and SM real quick recently.
Jack
Greetings, Jack. Where have you been?

I was not aware that the NICS was available to individuals.....or is that a different BC that you're referring to? I did call an OSP number awhile back to check for possible stolen guns before I made a trade and that was free and fast. Same number?
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:25 pm

What stops me from running a BGC on some random guy and claiming that I sold all my arms to that guy?

The core concept doesn't work without registration of every weapon - write your Congressthings and instruct them to vocally oppose this garbage.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:52 pm

bigfatdave wrote:What stops me from running a BGC on some random guy and claiming that I sold all my arms to that guy?

The core concept doesn't work without registration of every weapon - write your Congressthings and instruct them to vocally oppose this garbage.
The reason that I would favor having the NICS available to individuals is for peace of mind....to know that I'm not selling to someone who shouldn't have it. It would be a "voluntary" thing. As far as "universal" BC's as currently being discussed, you are correct. It is unworkable as a control tool. I'd be happier if NICS would disappear, but since it is a fact of life, perhaps, if it were available to individuals it could serve some purpose and maybe even bypass the dealers and their "extra" fees.

But I'm not holding my breath.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Looks as though all the UBC worry was for naught. As was the assault weapon bill , and the large magazine clippy thingies and so on.....

All bills have failed that have come up for a vote.......

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/0 ... mendments/
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 pm

:D :D :D
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm reading that Nobama was visibly angry, practically had a tantrum. Congress should send him to his room without dessert...... :D
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:12 pm

We cannot rest on this issue. I would not be surprised if the powers that be are planning to circumvent the legal system and impose some EO to accomplish a similar outcome. One thing is for sure, they are not going to rest and will keep pressing on. Like sharks, they smell a little blood in the water and want to go into a gun control legislation frenzy.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:23 pm

If you have a CCL (CHL here), you shouldn't have to have any more background checks. That card should be proof of your background.
That's how it is in Texas. - You still fill out a yellow sheet, but there are no calls to the ATF, etc. No background check.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Bullseye wrote:We cannot rest on this issue. I would not be surprised if the powers that be are planning to circumvent the legal system and impose some EO to accomplish a similar outcome. One thing is for sure, they are not going to rest and will keep pressing on. Like sharks, they smell a little blood in the water and want to go into a gun control legislation frenzy.

R,
Bullseye
Amen