My rant: "Universal" background checks......

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

My rant: "Universal" background checks......

Post by Jack D » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:30 pm

.....are a fantasy. No one currently knows who owns guns or what kinds. Without that information there can be no "universal" background checks. To get that information would mean registration and a database of ALL guns in America, including those in the hands of the unlawful. Impossible!

I believe that the NICS should be available to anyone who desires to run a check before transferring a gun to an unknown individual. It should not have to go through a dealer and have another fee added on top of the NICS $10 fee. This could be done on-line and the $10 fee paid by credit card.

Also if one uses the NICS to check an individual and it is passed by NICS that should legally absolve the transferrer of any liability regarding that transfer.

A CCW license or permit should take the place of any NICS check and carry the same weight.

I see no need for information on the gun on the NICS form or record keeping of the transfer. What purpose does it serve?
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Being out in public without manacles is all the NICS check I need.

The system currently runs as "guilty until proven innocent", expanding that insultingly flawed system is unacceptable.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:51 pm

As I understand the proposed legislation it is a Trojan Horse for owner registration as it will change current law to include the government keeping records of all Form 4473 gun sales. I wonder what other hidden clauses are in that bill. I'm sure it is another one of those "we have to pass it to read it" bills.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:33 am

Bullseye wrote:As I understand the proposed legislation it is a Trojan Horse for owner registration as it will change current law to include the government keeping records of all Form 4473 gun sales. I wonder what other hidden clauses are in that bill. I'm sure it is another one of those "we have to pass it to read it" bills.

R,
Bullseye
I'd like them to pass it, like a six pound kidney stone.......... :evil:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:13 am

Trojan horse? Can't be, it was supposedly written by a gun rights group. And Schumer approves it. What possibly be wrong with that?

greener

Post by greener » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:23 am

The Toomey-Manchin "compromise, deal" etc appears to prohibit any transfer of firearms outside family members without a background check. Any event with 75 guns for sale is a gun show and would require background checks. Any internet statements about selling a gun would make you subject to the background check requirement.

In other words, if you want to sell a gun outside your family, then you go through a dealer. The LGS' around here charge $40-$50 for their FFL services. They are in business to make money, not to be a service.

Text of the bill
http://gunssavelives.net/blog/gun-laws/ ... read-here/

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 am

The guy that did both of my replacement LCRs is a pawnshop/gun dealer, only charges $25. Fair enough, considering the responsibility he's taking on. None of the strictly LGS here will do a transfer, for whatever reason.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:40 pm

ruger22 wrote:The guy that did both of my replacement LCRs is a pawnshop/gun dealer, only charges $25. Fair enough, considering the responsibility he's taking on. None of the strictly LGS here will do a transfer, for whatever reason.
Exactly why I believe the NICS shold be available to all. I recently took in a gun in trade for an item I listed on Craigslist. I wanted to be sure the gun was not stolen. A simple phone call to the OSP for a stolen gun check and I had my answer. A NICS background check could be and should be, just that simple. The $10 fee could be paid instantly by credit card. Why should a dealer be involved at all?
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:34 pm

The FFL I use only charges $10 if you have CCL and $20 if not. Look around you may not have to deal the LGS.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:56 pm

blue68f100 wrote:The FFL I use only charges $10 if you have CCL and $20 if not. Look around you may not have to deal the LGS.
If you have a CCL (CHL here), you shouldn't have to have any more background checks. That card should be proof of your background.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

greener

Post by greener » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Jack D wrote:
blue68f100 wrote:The FFL I use only charges $10 if you have CCL and $20 if not. Look around you may not have to deal the LGS.
If you have a CCL (CHL here), you shouldn't have to have any more background checks. That card should be proof of your background.
Not in Virginia. We get to fill out the NICS form and the State form, even with a CWP. Maybe next year, assuming my president doesn't find a way to prevent it.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Your president?

Are you on a new medication? Bumped your head lately?
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:20 pm

ruger22 wrote:Your president?

Are you on a new medication? Bumped your head lately?
Best President I have. And btw, the best one you have.
All the others are has beens.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:44 am

In MI if you have a CCW permit you don't need to get the state check for pistols , just the NICS check if you buy any gun from a FFL.

if you buy Person to Person For Pistols w/o a CCW you need to get a state check. If you buy from a FFL W/O a CCW then you just need to get the NICS check. Our legislature just figured out that the state check and the NICS check were redundant.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:01 am

The proposed UBC legislation is a mirror of what the state of California has had in effect for over twenty-five years now. I didn't like it there and it doesn't reduce a thing as far as criminal intent of possession of a firearm. It just limits what private sellers can do on their own. I would like the option of getting a NICS background check done on a buyer I do not know personally but I don't see them doing that right now.

R,
Bullseye