Thanks to Bullseye for intelligent, even moderation

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Thanks to Bullseye for intelligent, even moderation

Post by ruger22 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 pm

In light of my previous post about leaving RF.net, I want to thank Bullseye for moderating this forum with reason. You also have the good sense to not have sections devoted to subjects that have little to do with guns or shooting. Politics and other touchy subjects cause most of the problems on the RF. Even jokes can cross the line of some moderator's tastes. Maybe RF just needs to eliminate those topic areas?
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri May 24, 2013 5:07 pm

I appreciate those thoughts. I started this forum as a place for folks to discuss their ideas and share some fellowship on shooting related issues. I don't believe that the freedom to speak means everyone has to agree with one another. If we all had exactly the same thoughts, what a boring place this world would be. I also do not believe everyone must think the way I do. I like jokes and a little ribbing never hurt anyone. Heck while in the military, if you had thin skin you were a prime target for all the practical jokers. I typically only intervene on very rare occasions if the discussion starts taking things too personally, and that is always done privately with the members involved. I've only ever banned one person from this forum, and that person more than deserved it after all the chances they had to clean up their act.

You folks all know how to be civil with one another so I mostly just get to sit back and enjoy the conversation. I just wish I didn't have so much junk (spam) registrations for the forum as I'm sure there is some folks who get turned off and frustrated trying to register here.

This is your forum! I just have my name up on the masthead. A greater bunch of folks I have never met. Some have been with me more than a decade and several iterations of discussion forums on Rugers and shooting.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:57 pm

You're welcome. I feel like everyone here is family. Actually, you guys have been better friends than most people I can see face-to-face..... :D

Now that I've left the 50+ post a day RF, I need some replacement entertainmeant. What will it take for you guys to post more? Ammo? Money? Dancing girls?.............. :roll:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:40 pm

I've been doing my best on my 1911 build... :D

Only a few have commented on it.

I getting ready to flat top the slide and cut the serrations this next week. My engraving bits came in today.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 25, 2013 9:16 am

I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures as your 1911 project continues. You are getting a taste of the amount of time and care it takes to build a quality pistol. A 1911 is not a modular machine, you cannot just throw one together from a box of parts and have it function properly.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat May 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Yes, That's why I could never afford a good custom 1911 from a builder like Rogers... I have expensive taste :D :D

Then when my shooting partner bought his LB and I saw how poorly the barrel was fitted in a $2k gun, I said I could do better than that. So I set out to do it.

The only drop in parts on a 1911 are, grips (most cases), grip bushing, grip screws (if you don't index), FP and springs. Everything else may/will require fitting. I knew that going in and was looking for the challenge.

I knew what I was getting into. I started off doing research almost a year in advance. Purchased the Jerry Kuhnhausen's Shop manuals v 1 & 2 and read/study cover to cover twice before I decided to order the slide and frame. 10 weeks later they where here and I started collecting parts. I had read many times not to go with low in part fore they may be out of spec and require more work to make them fit. Beside the good quality parts are not that much more in most cases. When I started I expected it to take >6mo. But I'm into if <3 mo and starting to do the fine detail cosmetic touches that set them apart. My hold up right now is with the slide serrations. I'm having a problem with the tooling. The engraving bits I just got in looks like the points are damaged. Will not cut a V at the bottom of the cut. I wish I had access to a sharpener I would just touch them up and go.

It's all about the Details..... :wink:

60+ hrs and counting.....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:36 pm

It's not the comments blue, its the views you get ....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne