first range trip (don't tell momma)

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

first range trip (don't tell momma)

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat May 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Mom and the girls went to a bridal shower so the boys went out shootin'....
Not bad for 6 years old. He liked shooting the been and an old can better than the target, we had a great time.

More misses than hits but the boy got one in the middle. I was more impressed with his ability to follow directions and remember the safety rules I was teaching him as we went.

he was shooting my 10/22 carbine, loading one at a time, its still a bit big for him I think I need to look at a kid sized 22... :thumbs up: :thumbs up: :thumbs up: :thumbs up:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 25, 2013 3:51 pm

I won't ell, he can probably out shoot grandpa Greener soon' Get on of those self healing spinner targets he will have more interest if he can see something happen when he shoots.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:10 pm

The most important thing at that age is Safety 1st and FUN.

Needs targets that gives him feed back. Something that explodes when hit. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 25, 2013 8:08 pm

If he takes after his dad, he'll be growing into that .22 rifle sooner than later. Great to see the youngster enjoying a little quality time with his father out on the range. He will fondly remember that day for a lifetime.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:50 pm

We both had a good time and didn't over do it. Mostly OT was safety reminders and by the end he was trying to get a good sight picture, and definitely knew to ask before ,going downrange, and did good at keeping his Booger hook off the trigger until ready.

Of course momma found out and she's not happy, she thinks he's too young.

-John Wayne

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat May 25, 2013 9:13 pm

That's awesome, bg. A 22lr rifle loaded with 1 round at a time is a great way to teach him.

I remember hearing a story on the news a few years back where a child was allowed by his parent(s?) to shoot an automatic 9mm UZI (not sure if it was the SMG, mini, or micro) at a gun show. The child lost control of the weapon while firing and a round ended up striking him in the head and he was killed. I was astonished that anyone reasonable education in firearms would allow their young child to fire a small automatic 9mm weapon loaded with a full magazine...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 26, 2013 4:05 pm

When my boys were that age I started them off on a Daisy lever action (springer) BB gun using the 15' targets designed for air gun shooting. They loved it, and all the shooting sessions were carefully supervised much like yours. The air rifle was smaller in length and even though they had trouble aligning the sights at first it wasn't long before they grew into it. Now they still like to go to the range with their dad and they've grown into fine young men. I'm sure they'll carry on the tradition when it is their turn.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun May 26, 2013 5:40 pm

I wonder if he will eventually have the one-new-gun-a-month desire?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:14 pm

We'll be going the BB route for a while, momma is more receptive to that.... I think he's hooked, and it gramps that has the one gun a month rule..... I got three kids to feed yet, he just has mom and the cat. :shock:

Although if that powerball ticket was the winner........... :wink:

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon May 27, 2013 8:23 am

The Big Greener was talking about retiring, that may have an effect on his gun purchase program. You do have to alter your life style, I sure did.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Wed May 29, 2013 8:42 pm

I think the BB gun route is a good idea. However, there is a Winchester Model 69 that shot pretty well for me about 60 years ago, when he is ready.

I definitely like the smile.