Right or Wrong?

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Right or Wrong?

Post by greener » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:59 am

Man legally protesting Obama legally carrying a semi-automatic pistol and an AR.

On an overpass... The response was by 8 Hopewell PD with weapons drawn.

http://wtvr.com/2013/08/27/constitution ... sts-obama/

Interesting comment in the text from the commonwealth attorney. The well-known "yelling fire in a crowded theater" limit to free speech was modified in a 1969 Supreme Court Ruling to "inciting criminal acts".

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:39 am

MI like VA has the same basic law that it is totally legal to carry a loaded firearm in public in the open, Totally legal as far as my opinion goes but it will attar t lot of attention, As far as the sign he is again totally legal and it sounds like a good idea to me. We really need the opinion of a real LEO call the little Greener.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:11 pm

I can understand the officers' initial response, for their safety. I can't agree with the search and confiscation. I'll assume from the CA's comments, the guns were returned.

I personally think the guy pushed his luck protesting with the sign and guns both. Two guns was a bit much, too. Maybe he could alternate protests, gun one day and sign the next??
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:28 pm

ruger22 wrote:I can understand the officers' initial response, for their safety. I can't agree with the search and confiscation. I'll assume from the CA's comments, the guns were returned.

I personally think the guy pushed his luck protesting with the sign and guns both. Two guns was a bit much, too. Maybe he could alternate protests, gun one day and sign the next??
As far as the law he was legal but when you push the envelope it will sometimes rip
Actually his choice of carrying weapons, he was just looking to cause the law to confront. He who goes out and looks for trouble will usually find it.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:39 pm

A supreme court ruling a while back (can't recall the case name) cited "yes you can open carry legally, but you can expect to attract attention"

As for the police responce, it sounds proper for multiple calls of "a man with a rifle on top of the overpass acting crazy" as I am sure is how it came in. People forget, that the cops respond in a manner with the limited info they get. Its most possible they confiscated the weapons, waiting on authorization or denial on charges. most likely some sort of "disorderly" type
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:27 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:A supreme court ruling a while back (can't recall the case name) cited "yes you can open carry legally, but you can expect to attract attention"

As for the police response, it sounds proper for multiple calls of "a man with a rifle on top of the overpass acting crazy" as I am sure is how it came in. People forget, that the cops respond in a manner with the limited info they get. Its most possible they confiscated the weapons, waiting on authorization or denial on charges. most likely some sort of "disorderly" type
cops like to go home at the end of their shift too, eh????
are you sure he was just acting crazy?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:11 am

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:A supreme court ruling a while back (can't recall the case name) cited "yes you can open carry legally, but you can expect to attract attention"

As for the police responce, it sounds proper for multiple calls of "a man with a rifle on top of the overpass acting crazy" as I am sure is how it came in. People forget, that the cops respond in a manner with the limited info they get. Its most possible they confiscated the weapons, waiting on authorization or denial on charges. most likely some sort of "disorderly" type
cops like to go home at the end of their sift too, eh????
are you sure he was just acting crazy?
I'm sure thats what the callers told the police.... kind of a standard thing for callers to exaggerate the situation.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:05 am

A few years ago we had a couple guys shooting at cars from an overpass west of Richmond. That might have been remembered.

I think Hopewell PD overreacted. They guy was legally carrying and his firearms were in a carry mode, not in his hands. But a rifle on an overpass? That is bound to attract attention.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:36 am

greener wrote:A few years ago we had a couple guys shooting at cars from an overpass west of Richmond. That might have been remembered.

I think Hopewell PD overreacted. They guy was legally carrying and his firearms were in a carry mode, not in his hands. But a rifle on an overpass? That is bound to attract attention.
That is what he wanted and he got it

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't like to do things, usually JUST because I can. I make assessments in
my own mind as to the ethical, lawful, and practical issues at hand. Why try to
force the issue if it might cause other problems. I don't live to cause others
problems, just because I lawfully have the right. A concealed carry gun is the
most effective method to promote your self defense and not scare the general
public. He was within the law, but foolish as well.
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Within the law, but actually stupid. I do not believe in open carry, why should I let the bad guy know I am armed? would much rather see the stupid look on his face as he looks down the barrel.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:06 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Within the law, but actually stupid. I do not believe in open carry, why should I let the bad guy know I am armed? would much rather see the stupid look on his face as he looks down the barrel.
amen brother... I do not believe in giving the 'bad guys' an equal chance. I would never advertise I am armed and take the chance of a bad guy either popping me first or allowing them to covertly surround and take my weapon from me.

much better to react to whatever situation they attempt to create with surprise being totally on my side... not theirs.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]