A matter of perspective

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

A matter of perspective

Post by greener » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:46 am

The handgun range at the shooting range I use has fixed target holders made of welded rebar at fixed distances from 7 yards to 15 yards. Each lane is a unique distance. We use 3'x3' cardboard target backers. We have a jihad on shooting the rebar so you check your target backers out and turn them in for inspection.

The line is in a shed with a roof and the back wall. It is darker inside the shed on a sunny day and it seems to make seeing targets more difficult. If I ever have the need to shoot from a dark room into bright light, I've had years of training.

Yesterday I did my usual of putting 4 NRA 50' slow fire targets on the backer and was shooting the single six. I was cussing the difficulty in seeing the front sights and the wobble the revolver was developing. I was putting bullets all over the black. I was thinking about quitting and stop fighting the gun when the guy who had been on the 7 yard lane and was putting one target in the center of the backer at a time stopped by and told me what a good shooter I was, putting 4 targets on the backer and shooting from such a long distance.

Doing well or not is, I suppose, a matter of perspective. I was cussing my lousy shooting and he was impressed that I didn't worry about keeping bullets on 25% of a 3'x3' piece of cardboard. After he left I stopped whining and started concentrating on the trigger and did a little better.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:52 am

I'd rather have a day where I was unjustly dissatisfied with myself, than dissatisfied with everyone else.

We can all have a day where we're a bit of a baby. Been there, done that.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:32 pm

We all have off days at the range. But poor lighting can add to the problem. The indoor range I shoot at has lower lighting than I like but I see good in low light. I have problems seeing when the sun is in my face.

I'm having allergies real bad right now so my vision is blurry/clear/blurry during the same session.

On the days I'm having a real bad problem I shoot with the Laser. Or just shoot my 45 with NO sights and work on my point shooting. :)
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911