Tiny lost parts CAN be found

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Tiny lost parts CAN be found

Post by ruger22 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Last night I had my "bedtime cigarette" on the back porch. Came back in and set my Zippo on the dining room table. It was in two pieces, the hinge pin fell out somewhere! That is a frequent problem with worn Zippos, but the pin normally just slips out far enough to poke your hand.

I know from past experience that the pin isn't magnetic. So this morning I just vacuumed the path from the back door to the table. Most of it is carpeted. Empty Eureka vacuum with a clear dirt cup.

After getting enough dirt and doggie hair to see, I dumped the cup on the vinyl kitchen floor and picked through the dirt. On the fourth cup, I found the pin. Living room carpet about halfway through the path. Then all I had to do was re-vacuum up the dirt on the kitchen floor.

I was still very lucky. The pin is equal to a 3/16 piece of paper clip. The original pin mattered to me, as it's a solid brass Zippo my wife bought me years ago. One of these days I'll send it to Zippo for their free overhaul.

Last time I did the same thing was when a plunger spring from a Security-Six went airborne in a carpeted dining room, about 25 years ago. I found that, too.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:07 pm

If you quit smoking you would not have to worry About the lighter and you would have a lot more money for guns and ammo. 6 bucks a pack x 365 will buy a lot of goodies. I quit in June of 1991 after smoking most any tobacco product since 1950, really missed my favorite seeegars.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:13 pm

I knew I had that coming. At least being in VA mine are $2.65 a pack. I've never done seegars, but I love the aroma of a good one, or good pipe tobacco.

Even if I didn't smoke, I find cigarette lighters are useful for many other tasks. Having two standard Bic lighters in your back pack gives you many hundreds of campfires, with a back-up. Melting cut nylon webbing, sterilizing splinter needles, etc.

It's not a just a cigarette lighter, it's portable instant fire.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:25 pm

ruger22 wrote:I knew I had that coming. At least being in VA mine are $2.65 a pack. I've never done seegars, but I love the aroma of a good one, or good pipe tobacco.

Even if I didn't smoke, I find cigarette lighters are useful for many other tasks. Having two standard Bic lighters in your back pack gives you many hundreds of campfires, with a back-up. Melting cut nylon webbing, sterilizing splinter needles, etc.

It's not a just a cigarette lighter, it's portable instant fire.
That is the one thing I do miss, not having anything with me to start a fire. Did really enjoy the seeegars but got over that addiction too. Quit smoking in June of 1991 on the way to pick up a new Blazer, decided I would not smoke in the new car, and then threw the pack out the window and decided to quit altogether, was 22 years ago in mid June. See smokes in the 7-11 gor for 5 or 6 bucks a pack.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Tiny parts, especially gun and watch parts hide when first lost. They hide until you have spent the required amount of time then suddenly appear right where you've been looking.

The sure way to recover lost parts is to purchase the replacement. Then it comes out of hiding and you can see it at 20 feet.

I went from 3+ packs a day a few years ago after 40+ years of smoking, gained lots of weight and then lost a bunch of it. Told SWMBO that I could be the worst person in the world if she crossed me: a reformed smoker who lost weight. All that moral superiority. She said something about me being the second worse person in the world if I tried it.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:27 pm

greener wrote:Tiny parts, especially gun and watch parts hide when first lost. They hide until you have spent the required amount of time then suddenly appear right where you've been looking.

The sure way to recover lost parts is to purchase the replacement. Then it comes out of hiding and you can see it at 20 feet.

I went from 3+ packs a day a few years ago after 40+ years of smoking, gained lots of weight and then lost a bunch of it. Told SWMBO that I could be the worst person in the world if she crossed me: a reformed smoker who lost weight. All that moral superiority. She said something about me being the second worse person in the world if I tried it.
very simple warning eh?

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:28 pm

I quit smoking some years ago, lost weight more recently - and am still married after 21, about to be 22 years. My wife is apparently a very patient woman.

A large ZipLock bag is great for taking trigger assemblies and some pistols apart.

Just a sheet of thin, transparent plastic can make a big difference, if it is too thin to bounce a part, but will absorb the energy and catch it instead.

A sheet of Saran-Wrap hosed down with WD-40 so that it will not stick to itself is handy for that.

themig

Lighter fluid

Post by themig » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:28 am

What kind of lighter fluid are you using? Zippo fuel is no good and Ronson dosen't sell in the states.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Lighter fluid

Post by ruger22 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:54 pm

themig wrote:What kind of lighter fluid are you using? Zippo fuel is no good and Ronson dosen't sell in the states.
I know that Zippo fluid is now at least partly synthetic. The can says something about being a "hydrocarbon blend". Works for lighters okay, but no good for removing the sticky film from price tags and other cleaning.

Ronson is owned by Zippo now, and I get my Ronsonol at Walgreen's. It seems to still be straight naptha. Burns and cleans good.

So far as my quitting smoking, I'm down to 8-15 cigarettes a day. That may be the best I'll ever do. My worst was back in my mid-twenties, smoking three packs a day. Really bad.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:16 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:Tiny parts, especially gun and watch parts hide when first lost. They hide until you have spent the required amount of time then suddenly appear right where you've been looking.

very simple warning eh?
I've dined a few times on cold shoulder and hot tongue served with great relish. :lol:

greener

Post by greener » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:19 pm

charlesb wrote:I quit smoking some years ago, lost weight more recently - and am still married after 21, about to be 22 years. My wife is apparently a very patient woman.

Twice that. We've had two agreements. The one who sued for divorce had to take the kids, then the one who sued had to take the cat.

greener

Re: Lighter fluid

Post by greener » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 pm

ruger22 wrote:
themig wrote:What kind of lighter fluid are you using? Zippo fuel is no good and Ronson dosen't sell in the states.
I know that Zippo fluid is now at least partly synthetic. The can says something about being a "hydrocarbon blend". Works for lighters okay, but no good for removing the sticky film from price tags and other cleaning.

Ronson is owned by Zippo now, and I get my Ronsonol at Walgreen's. It seems to still be straight naptha. Burns and cleans good.

So far as my quitting smoking, I'm down to 8-15 cigarettes a day. That may be the best I'll ever do. My worst was back in my mid-twenties, smoking three packs a day. Really bad.
Keep working on the smoking.

Both lighter fluids are "synthetic" blends. Somewhere in the cracking, distillation and hydrogenation (hydrogenation) of crude oil you get hydrocarbons you want either as a blend or mixture distilling over a certain range. I did notice that Zippo has fluids designed for certain lighters. Never new that when I used Zippos. Generally got Ronsonol, I think.

http://certification.zippo.com/Document ... 032013.pdf
http://certification.zippo.com/Document ... 072012.pdf

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Be a man, just throw the smokes out the window and get on with your life. If I could quit anyone can. no it is not easy.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:24 am

bearandoldman wrote:Be a man, just throw the smokes out the window and get on with your life. If I could quit anyone can. no it is not easy.
Easier said than done. Just one more, then I'll quit for good or just one more, it can't hurt, are usually the downfall.

Have a friend used the gum to successfully quit smoking. She's now addicted to the gum. Her doc says it's better than smoking.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:37 am

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Be a man, just throw the smokes out the window and get on with your life. If I could quit anyone can. no it is not easy.
Easier said than done. Just one more, then I'll quit for good or just one more, it can't hurt, are usually the downfall.

Have a friend used the gum to successfully quit smoking. She's now addicted to the gum. Her doc says it's better than smoking.
I did gum for a year or so, and then kicked that too.