Walter Williams on Gun Control

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:32 am

"Why — at a time in our history when guns were readily available, when a person could just walk into a store or order a gun through the mail, when there were no FBI background checks, no waiting periods, no licensing requirements — was there not the frequency and kind of gun violence that we sometimes see today, when access to guns is more restricted?"

hmmm? I know the answer to this question, but can't say it here. I've got to bite my tongue!

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:41 am

I hate to break it to most of you, but "gun violence" and violent crime in gerneral is at a a nearly all time low. Looking back at some of the FBI numbers the violent crime rate is actually lower than in the 50's ... We won't even talk about the roaring 20's when you could mail order a Thompson.

The big difference between now and then is there are far more people around and the rate of communication is waaaay higher. If jo-jo the crack dealer shoots someone in a crack deal its instantly on the news before the undertaker is even on scene. Yes the morals of today are a tad different, (its ok to mouth off to a cop today where as in the 50's you would have got your butt kicked then sent home). But people. Today are pretty much good people and we only hear about the bad apples.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:14 pm

The way back a long time ago Williams is talking about, when I could strap on a .38 and wander into Stevens Hardware for a box of ammo and no one thought anything about it was different. 1911's, '03 Springfields and M1's were advertised for almost nothing in Boy's Life. We could walk down the streets of Wilson carrying .22's or shot guns to take care of rats at the dump and no one thought much about it. Not that much of today's gun crime.

Back then, the weapon of choice was a sharp blade. I remember sitting in an emergency room one Monday night waiting for my free Boy Scout Camp physical with two guys. One had a hat over his gut and told his buddy "you got me this time." His hat was holding his intestines that were sort of oozing out. Switchblades, straight razors and Bad Bad Leroy Brown.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:28 pm

greener wrote:The way back a long time ago Williams is talking about, when I could strap on a .38 and wander into Stevens Hardware for a box of ammo and no one thought anything about it was different. 1911's, '03 Springfields and M1's were advertised for almost nothing in Boy's Life. We could walk down the streets of Wilson carrying .22's or shot guns to take care of rats at the dump and no one thought much about it. Not that much of today's gun crime.

Back then, the weapon of choice was a sharp blade. I remember sitting in an emergency room one Monday night waiting for my free Boy Scout Camp physical with two guys. One had a hat over his gut and told his buddy "you got me this time." His hat was holding his intestines that were sort of oozing out. Switchblades, straight razors and Bad Bad Leroy Brown.
I remember those days well, one of the local high schools had a smallbore rifle team and the YMCa did too. I know one of them had a 50 foot indoor range, can not remember which one. A friend of mine live in the country abd rdfe the school bus in, so during pheasant season I would bring my shotgun to school and put it on my locker and then take it in the school bus out to his stop and go pheasant hunting in his back yard. Try that toda and life in orison.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.