good dogs.....

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

good dogs.....

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Good dogs are a man's best friend.
They don't judge you when you say or do something stupid.
They will love and protect you unconditionally, as long as you give them belly rubs and the occasional cookie.
They keep your feet warm on a cold winters night.
They put a smile on your face because they are always happy to see you, and they show it.
There is nothing like a wet nose kiss from your four legged buddy.

BAOM 's Bear was the dog all should aspire to be.

Rest in peace, Bear.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: good dogs.....

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:27 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:Good dogs are a man's best friend.
They don't judge you when you say or do something stupid.
They will love and protect you unconditionally, as long as you give them belly rubs and the occasional cookie.
They keep your feet warm on a cold winters night.
They put a smile on your face because they are always happy to see you, and they show it.
There is nothing like a wet nose kiss from your four legged buddy.

BAOM 's Bear was the dog all should aspire to be.

Rest in peace, Bear.
he was a GREAT dog especially in the wet nose snooter and a few woofs tor cookies, just like he always did and he got his cookies early in the morning, his legs failed in the early afternoon. I have been watching him go downhill for the past year and knew this was eventually going to happen
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. I can relate to that. I still think of the one I had that was lost >15 yrs ago.

Dogs are family and it always hurts when they leave us.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. Good dogs are great people..

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:07 pm

thanks guys. Yes, dog are family and good dogs are great people and damn few people are great.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:35 pm

I'm so sorry you've lost Bear. I could imagine him at the Pearly Gates, woofing for cookies.

I lost a West Highland Terrier last December 20. Andy was diabetic, and passed from a seizure. Now my other Westie, Barney, has congestive heart failure and a collapsing windpipe. He has coughing fits several times a day, and no energy.

He's on one pill to speed up his heart, and another to dry up his sinus and lungs, but it's just buying him some time. Vet says maybe another year. He's certainly worth more than $65 a month for the pills.

Andy was 13, Barney is nearly 15. We're grateful for those years.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:28 am

My condolences to you an Ma. I too am very sorry to learn of Bear's passing. Over the many years we've known each other you and I have shared stories of our dogs. Bear was a constant companion for you and his loss is a heavy one I am sure.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:34 am

Bullseye wrote:My condolences to you an Ma. I too am very sorry to learn of Bear's passing. Over the many years we've known each other you and I have shared stories of our dogs. Bear was a constant companion for you and his loss is a heavy one I am sure.

R,
Bullseye
Yes it is my friend, but he is now over the Rainbow Bridge in doggie Heaven and he is not hurting. He was 14 year and 7-1/2 months and has been with me since 2 weeks before his first birthday. I have seen this coming for some time now. His back legs were becoming very weak, and he could no loger hop uo on the couch or into the car, bit I helped him. He was not hurting so we did our best to get by. The other day he was moving very slow but he still snootered me and woofed for his cookies and I gave him all he wanted as he did not seem to eat his regular food, He also had heavy cataracts and a large tumor on has left belly. But he was my bud and still is. The other day he just lost the use of his back legs and was hurting, so I called my friend and we took Bear to the vet, and I held him until he crossed over the bridge.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:22 pm

I've been there, and as hard of a thing that is to do it is the right thing when someone you care for is suffering like that. Bear gave you all so much love, and you know that he deeply appreciated your being right there with him providing comfort in those last few moments he had here on Earth. While I feel your unhappiness at his passing I also take comfort along with you in knowing that he is not suffering anymore. He truly was a great companion and a good dog.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Bullseye wrote:I've been there, and as hard of a thing that is to do it is the right thing when someone you care for is suffering like that. Bear gave you all so much love, and you know that he deeply appreciated your being right there with him providing comfort in those last few moments he had here on Earth. While I feel your unhappiness at his passing I also take comfort along with you in knowing that he is not suffering anymore. He truly was a great companion and a good dog.

R,
Bullseye
Your last sentence is perfectly true. We had 13 tears and 8 months together and Wednesday was the first day he really ever showed any sign of pain. The picture with him and my wife was taken
Monday this week in the afternoon. Even Wednesday morning he slowly made his way out of his sleeping are and snootered me for a handful or 2 of dog cookies. Later that afternoon his body just gave up, called my bud for help and took him to the vets office, they are the kindest and most caring people you have ever seen. A husband and wife who are both vets.

bearandoldman

A dogs prayer

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Dog's Prayer

Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me. Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your
devoted worshipper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands. Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:16 pm

THE BEST DAMN GOLDEN RETRIEVER IN THE WORLD
A success story
My wife, Lillian and I adopted our golden” Bear “ on March 10th of 2000. He was a scrawny little 52-pound almost 1 year old puppy, he was born on March 23rd 1999. He is now a pretty much full grown 85-pound dog. This whole story really began in the spring of 1998, and you must hear the whole story to understand it completely
In the spring of 1998 our oldest daughter, Linda and son-in-law Tad who at that time were living in London, England; told us they since they now had a house with a yard they were getting a dog. In the south of England they bought a very blonde golden retriever with a very impressive bloodline of show champions. They named him “Wrigley “ as they had lived near Wrigley Field in Chicago, before moving to the UK. Wrigley was born in early April of 1998.
In early February 1999, Linda called and told us that Tad had been transferred to New York City and they would be living in a company owned apartment that did not allow pets. I could tell she was very upset, as she did not know what to do with the dog. She said there would be no problem getting the dog into the country as the UK is a rabies free country and all he needed for entrance was a rabies shot. We talked it over that night and I called the next day and told her, as we had raised 5 children, 1 dog should be no problem. He would be our grand doggie. They made arrangements to fly to Detroit Metro International from Heathrow, England as it was a direct flight with no stops and would be an easier trip for the dog. On March 6th I met them at Detroit Metro, they came out of customs with Wrigley in a crate that he had been shut in for 10 hours. Was had glad to get out and find a tree and a drink of water and some dog cookies.
Wrigley was a good boy and we took a walk every morning and I was in better shape than I had been for years. He got to see his first snow here, as they don’t get snow in London. He went every place with us, up north to swim in the lake at Harbor Springs and to all the gun clubs I frequented here and around the state. We became quite attached to him, when our daughter and son-in-law moved into a different apartment in November she came to take him home. I never thought dog leaving would bring tears to my eyes. We missed him a lot; maybe we needed a dog?
Linda called me one day as she had been talking to someone in rescue in NY state that told her to have me contact Paulette Lerman, which I did. I filled out the forms and mailed them and soon met Bev Fillmore, who was my interviewer. I looked at several dogs at Bevy’s house, but the right feelings just were not there. We looked at dogs from Auburn Hills with Ann Heilbronn to Indian River with Cindy Eckhart. Finally one day I had stopped at Bev’s to look at another dog, the chemistry just wasn’t there yet, and I was undecided if I really wanted a dog or not. Bev said, Len look at this little guy we just got in from the Gennesee County Animal Shelter. This little guy came out of his pen; I bent down to pet him and look him over. He gave me a snooter kiss on the ear and then I knew this was my dog, he had just picked me as his friend. Bev said he had to be neutered yet and I could look at him in two weeks with his foster family Greg and Diane Mikolaski in Shields.
It was Saturday March 10th when I went to their house to see him. I asked if I could take him a mile away to my gun club so I could see if the gunfire bothered him. It did not; I called Greg and told him to get the papers ready " this is my dog ". The following Thursday, I was able to run him without a leash at my club while I shot sporting clays, he never got out of sight.
Why the original owners did not want him, I have never been able to figure out. Somebody paid a lot of money for this dog. That is their misfortune and my good fortune. He is a very intelligent dog and learns most anything rapidly. He will point grouse and woodcock at my club, even though I don’t hunt. I could have a very well trained dog if I wanted but we just go for walks and a run in the woods and play old man and dog because it’s fun. He works with voice; whistle or hand signals and behaves admirably.
My wife and I think he is the” BEST DAMN GOLDEN RETRIEVER IN THE WORLD”. And now you’ve heard the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey would have said.

Bear and the Oldman

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks for that prayer. That's good.
My last dog died of complications of diabetes. His last year, he was on insulin twice a day. He did well until his kidneys failed. That is very painful.
His last night was the only night in his life that he didn't sleep with his head on my shoulder. That last night he was whimpering with pain, so I slept with him on the floor.
First thing the next morning, we went to the vet.
I was with him to the end, and about lost it when on his last breath, he looked up at me, thumped his tail once, and the look on his face was sort of "thanks Dad, it doesn't hurt anymore". Still brings tear to an old man.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:43 pm

I stayed with Bear until the doc said he was done and then kissed him good bye and left. Yes men can kissdogsg and anyone that disagrees with me can give me a kiss in another place.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:03 am

bearandoldman wrote:I stayed with Bear until the doc said he was done and then kissed him good bye and left. Yes men can kissdogsg and anyone that disagrees with me can give me a kiss in another place.
Condolences on your loss BAOM. Been there too many times. Couldn't agree more with your last sentence. I've shed more tears over my dogs than I have over a lot of people I know.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.