I'm having tech problems with GTO and RFC sites

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

I'm having tech problems with GTO and RFC sites

Post by ruger22 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:08 pm

On this site, in the reply window, if I highlight and click a modifier, like Bold, the two tags appear at the end of the reply, not with the word that was highlighted in between them. Same thing if I change the color or size. The Emoticons work okay, and I can edit posted replies okay.

The tags do work if I type them manually in the right spots, like doing bold.

On RFC, the editing buttons don't do anything, and the emoticons don't work. I can edit the text of a posted reply in the window, but then it won't submit. If I do anything wrong, it stays. I can't delete anything, either. So RFC is a real mess for me. No one else on RFC seems to have the problem.

I've defragmented, restarted, made sure everything was up to date, and had my Norton Securuty do a full scan. Nothing works to fix it. I don't know of a single thing I've done to cause it. No new programs or any orther changes in several weeks, and this has been a problem for about two weeks now.

I have a ten year old XP laptop that's really, really, slow; but the sites work okay on it. My problem is this PC, using Windows 7, Internet Explorer, and MSN for internet. It's just over a year old.

I can't find a comparable problem on Google, so I'm stuck.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:55 pm

Is your JAVA up to date???

These sights use java, so if you have your security set on the browser to restrict Jave you may run into a problem.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:46 am

I don't believe Guntalk is running JAVA scripts, this is a very old version of this bulletin board format software. I have not upgraded for quite a long time, as I've not wanted to change the appearance of the forum. I had not used the feature buttons in the way you've described by highlighting the word and then clicking the button. When I did it on this machine, a MAC Mini, running OS version 10.5.8, some kind of Leopard, they worked just as you described and placed the html tags both in front of the highlighted word and after. This also tells me your machine isn't processing the format properly. Let me check and see with my bride, she's a software guru.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:52 am

Bullseye, Your site requires Java to log-in. I found this out when I turned it off in my browser.

I'm running mac's too. The mini on the latest Tiger 10.9 and the MBP on 10.5.8 aka Mountain Lion.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm using Firefox and if I turn of Javascript I can log in just fine. However the tagging feature in my software does use Javascript and you must be having a conflict in your computer with running it. Ruger 22 I ran one of my newer PCs with Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11 and the tag features are operating normally through highlighting for me.

Blue- your OS X 10.9 is called "Mavericks" not Tiger. My 10.5.8 is called "Leopard". OS X 10.8.5 is called "Mountain Lion" which my older mini won't run.

R,
Bullseye