merry new year!

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

merry new year!

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:59 am

Merry New Year to all! :wave: and a happy year of shooting to all for 2014. Greener and I ended 2013 out well with our annual Post-Christmas shootfest, and had a wonderfull time making noise the otherday, sooner or later we'll actually hit A target :roll:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 pm

Happy New Year back at you! You two must have gotten in some Arctic conditions shooting time for that shoot fest. I'm glad you both had a good time.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:51 am

happy new year to all
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:49 am

Bullseye wrote:Happy New Year back at you! You two must have gotten in some Arctic conditions shooting time for that shoot fest. I'm glad you both had a good time.

R,
Bullseye
Actually we took advantage 9 a heat wave. It got all the way up to the day we went out. ... of course it was -15F Friday morning when I got home from work.... :alex: :alex:

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:14 am

Having lived in the "snow belt" for much of my earlier life I know that "heat wave" is a relative term. Typically "snotcicles" are fairly common this time of year for the upper mid-west as the mercury dips into the zero and sub-zero range for a few weeks. I remember walking on crunchy snow, and taking a deep breath though your nose meant an instant "brain freeze" sensation this time in January when I was younger. Back in the 1960's and 1970's snow season was much more harsh than you folks have experienced over the last thirty years or so, good to see how "global warming" is keeping you all so toasty. By now snow in your region was predicted to be extinct by all the doomsayers. Enjoy it while you can, I did when I lived up there.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Happy New Year to all

There is a reason I live in Texas.....

Even though I did work for Alaska's cold weather conditions down to -75F, I do not like the cold. I still have all my arctic gear though. These arctic blast have been coming though on a fairly regular basis lately. As long as it dry we can tolerate it here. But we have no equipment for dealing with ice or snow. The reason the cities just end up closing down.

I don't know if the UPS back log made the new up north but it causes a 10 day delay in delivering a package to me. My new Foredom K2272 :D :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Bullseye wrote:Having lived in the "snow belt" for much of my earlier life I know that "heat wave" is a relative term. Typically "snotcicles" are fairly common this time of year for the upper mid-west as the mercury dips into the zero and sub-zero range for a few weeks. I remember walking on crunchy snow, and taking a deep breath though your nose meant an instant "brain freeze" sensation this time in January when I was younger. Back in the 1960's and 1970's snow season was much more harsh than you folks have experienced over the last thirty years or so, good to see how "global warming" is keeping you all so toasty. By now snow in your region was predicted to be extinct by all the doomsayers. Enjoy it while you can, I did when I lived up there.

R,
Bullseye
Greener moved up here from New Orleans in 80 he just missed the bad winter of 78 when lake Michigan froze 95% over (most in history) .... we still get the snow but some years are more than others.

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:56 pm

I remember very well the winter of 77-78. I spent a good portion of of that winter in the Chicago area; bitter cold, very windy, and heavy snow that year. Having grown up in the Northeastern Ohio region of the snowbelt, I experienced many snowy winters. Winter snowfalls usually started in late November and lasted through mid-March most years. Some of those years it even went later up into April. The winters haven't been like that since then, but once I left the "rust belt" there was no going back for me. I still go up and visit my folks every year but not during the winter time. I used to take my boys up to visit their grandparents when they were young and play in the snow. One year we built a snow fort in early January that remained in the back yard until mid-April.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:57 pm

And a happy New Year. It was a good day for shooting. Got back to Virginny and decided that 40 was too cold to go shooting today.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:07 pm

It was 16°F outside last night, had to put out the water heater for the chickens so they could get a drink this morning. The pond still has a layer of ice on it. The temp got above freezing but the pond is shaded and never thawed. The ground froze hard too, that doesn't happen too often around here.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Bullseye wrote:It was 16°F outside last night, had to put out the water heater for the chickens so they could get a drink this morning. The pond still has a layer of ice on it. The temp got above freezing but the pond is shaded and never thawed. The ground froze hard too, that doesn't happen too often around here.

R,
Bullseye
so much for the global warming theory, eh?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:44 pm

I live in the mountains just north of the Big Bend national park, and we are supposed to catch the farthest extension of the cold wave, here.

To my north, hams in Amarillo are reporting rapidly plunging temperatures today.

I was outside in the morning wearing shorts and a pocket tee-shirt. By noon I had to wear long pants and a light jacket and now at sunset it's downright chilly out there!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:41 am

The high here yesterday was 70F. The front pushed through last night late and woke up to 30F. The high tomorrow is suppose to only be around 30F. Our average temp for Dec was 4 deg below the ave.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:41 am

The warm front came through over the weekend. Up to 28....of course the lake effect kicked in and dumped over a foot of snow on Sunday with a lot more predicted for Monday. ...and a high of 1*f

-John Wayne

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:07 am

We had our Chinook on Friday. It got up into the low 40's. Then Saturday we fell into the subzero basement again.

Yesterday we had the first 1800 match of the year. When I was driving to the range in the morning, we had our HIGH of the day -11. Today not much better, -19 (without the wind chill).

I did very poorly at the match. Barely broke 800 with the 22 and 797 with 2 misses with the 45. Frustrating, but I also have enough rounds downrange to know why and how to fix it. The problem is that I don't want to give up coffee and chewing, start an exercise program, and discipline myself to shooting 3x per week plus air practice. At this point I'm just enjoying the camaraderie of friends. When I feel the urge to pursue Master again, things will change. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy.

Stay warm everyone.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington