Let it snow, let it snow

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Let it snow, let it snow

Post by ruger22 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:53 pm

VA getting its share. Since yesterday morning, now have 11 inches officially. Supposed to be about 2-4 more inches before it stops tonight.

I lucked out on this. Monday is a holiday for me, and I had taken Friday vacation for a long weekend. Made it onto our six person vacation limit for yesterday and today. So I don't have to leave the house until Tuesday.... :D

Plus, bus service was cancelled today, so no pay, unless you're on vacation time........ :D
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:38 pm

That's the same front that came from here earlier. We got lucky and only got 1/2" of snow. Most of the heavier stuff and freezing rain was north and west of me, as well as south. In most cases we only get the freezing rain which makes driving very difficult. We are suppose to get near 60 today with 70's for the weekend :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:21 pm

Enjoy your days off. Last fall, I moved from S.E. WA state to west central MO. (Clinton,MO) I grew up in this area in the 50s. Sort of 'going home' for me.
However, it has been warmer, and dryer in S.E. WA. all winter than it has here. Maybe should have waited for spring to move???
So far this season, we have had over 20 inches of snowfall, and the last 13 days never got above freezing for a high temp. Today, in the 40s though.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Supposed to get up into the mid-80's here, this weekend. We'll be turning on the AC here in west Texas.

I'm sorry you guys are getting the snow, hope it moderates soon.

I'll open up the gates and try to let some of the warm air flow up north.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:56 pm

it was -16 when I got home from work this morning ..... I no longer have any place to put snow from my driveway ( the snow is piled over my head)... and when we went Ice diving the ice was thicker than the 18"bar on my chainsaw.... this winter is getting old....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:12 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:it was -16 when I got home from work this morning ..... I no longer have any place to put snow from my driveway ( the snow is piled over my head)... and when we went Ice diving the ice was thicker than the 18"bar on my chainsaw.... this winter is getting old....
me too
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:44 am

This winter could be bad enough for the Great Lakes to freeze over for the first time since 1979. Doesn't look ice on the lakes is keeping the snow down,or maybe it is.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:12 am

Lake mi made it to record ice levels..... now its been mid 40 s for two days..... It would be great to go to the range but it's up a hill on a dirt road that is usually pure ice when we get a warm spell. ....

45 degrees? Time to get out the shorts and floppy flops!
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:21 am

Overall Great Lakes ice cover got to 92%, which is the second highest ever recorded (1979,94.7%). It's backed off to 90% now that you are having the balmy weather. I'm putting the top down on the toy car and zooming about in the 46F. Haven't driven it since Sunday when it was 73.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/reference-pa ... -ice-page/

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:27 am

greener wrote:Overall Great Lakes ice cover got to 92%, which is the second highest ever recorded (1979,94.7%). It's backed off to 90% now that you are having the balmy weather. I'm putting the top down on the toy car and zooming about in the 46F. Haven't driven it since Sunday when it was 73.

with a little effort you could be an almost perfect jackass, no one- is perfect

is perfect

greener

Post by greener » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:34 am

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:Overall Great Lakes ice cover got to 92%, which is the second highest ever recorded (1979,94.7%). It's backed off to 90% now that you are having the balmy weather. I'm putting the top down on the toy car and zooming about in the 46F. Haven't driven it since Sunday when it was 73.

with a little effort you could be an almost perfect jackass, no one- is perfect

is perfect
I'll try harder :lol:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:28 pm

I remember that winter of 1978-1979 in the Great Lakes region very well.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Bullseye wrote:I remember that winter of 1978-1979 in the Great Lakes region very well.

R,
Bullseye
me too

greener

Post by greener » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:05 pm

I went from New Orleans to Kalamazoo on business between 1976 and 1980. Got on the plane at 90 and off at way too cold. The '78 blizzard canceled one of my trips. We moved to KZ in 1980. When the neighbor across the street saw the Louisiana tags he dragged out the picture of that house in the blizzard with the snow drift half-way up the living room window. It was a bilevel and the garage was below the living room. Nice big drift. About the time I sorta got accustomed to the cold, I moved to Virginia.

Now the bet for snow and ice up yonder in the frozen north is going to melt.

This could be one of those years with 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:05 pm

I believe summer is scheduled for a Tuesday this year.

R,
Bullseye