Glocks and drawstrings

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Glocks and drawstrings

Post by greener » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:27 am

Get the trigger caught in your jacket drawstring and the pistol could go bang. You could switch to 1911's and look down your nose at tupperware and mutter Browning and Atkins. Single action revolvers would solve this problem and you could wear a nice leather belt and holster with lots of big, shiny bullets. I think I had a two-gun set about 60 years ago.

They made it sound like this is a Glock only problem, if it really a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJMQup ... r_embedded

A good reminder that the gun is always loaded and you always need to be careful.

All cops in this piece. And notice they all carried Glocks. Hmmm.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:04 am

I do not own a Glock of any kind and do not have a jacket with s drawstring either, pus I carry a Smith 442 or a Springfield micro compact.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:26 am

When the Glocks were first introduced there was a major recall on some holsters. The holster were design in such that you could hang the trigger when holstering it. This of course since it does not have a manual safety would fire the gun .There were several officers that shot their self in the leg. I prefer a gun with a real safety or DA/SA.

I do not own a tupperware gun........
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Last year I re-read Mas Ayoob's book "The Gun Digest of Concealed Carry."
He also cautions the reader about drawstrings and concealed handguns - jackets, sweatshirts, etc. He recommends removing the strings from the cover garment .. but he did not mention pajama bottoms and hospital gowns... probably not relevant. :)
I will give his expertiese the nod and .. be careful out there.
Coach
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:12 pm

I've heard stories on this for years on this, most of them are with Glock brand Glocks. everything from the pull things on jacket/sweatshirt waistbands, to worn out leather holsters, to a little kid reaching in the holster and pulling the trigger.... all of them true with pictures. there are also the pockect carry AD's (accidental discharges) from folks who forgot to keep everything else but the gun and holster out of their pocket.

I don't like the push button "Serpa" style holsters because your have to push a button with your trigger finger to draw and where does that finger end up, in the trigger gaurd, theres been a few reported AD's with that one.

I've heard f AD's with DAO , DA/SA, 1911s, revolvers..... all of them. All I can figure is that Mr Murphy will always be out there...
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:44 am

but he did not mention pajama bottoms and hospital gowns... probably not relevant.
Could be relevant if the reason you're wearing one of these items is because your drawstring caused your concealed weapon to discharge and now you're convalescing in one of these items.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:10 am

They mentioned that the subject of the video had shot himself in the hand while cleaning his unloaded gun several years ago. They also seemed to do some stretching to find 3, or at least 3 who would talk about it. How many police carry Glocks? So the percentage of incidents like this has to be very tiny.

If you are worried about this, don't wear jackets with draw strings. Although I'd like to see bgreene going to work with a nice tooled leather belt and a single action Colt 45.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:03 am

greener wrote:They mentioned that the subject of the video had shot himself in the hand while cleaning his unloaded gun several years ago. They also seemed to do some stretching to find 3, or at least 3 who would talk about it. How many police carry Glocks? So the percentage of incidents like this has to be very tiny.

If you are worried about this, don't wear jackets with draw strings. Although I'd like to see bgreene going to work with a nice tooled leather belt and a single action Colt 45.
he would look cool, but 'I think he is a two gun rig man
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:19 pm

Once I figured out how to work on my Glock 29, I eventually got bored with it, and sold it to a local law enforcement officer. - That happens with a lot of guns that I purchase.

Only once in a great while do I grow so attached to a firearm as to keep it around long-term. - That list is pretty short!

I never ended up carrying the Glock, but it did ride around in my vehicle with me for a month or two. It seemed pretty safe to me.

My favorite large auto of all time, the 10mm Colt 'Double Eagle' had no safety lever either, and that gun seemed to be safe enough. - As safe as a double-action revolver.

I think they should have kept developing the Double Eagle - but that's just me.

Most shooters I talk to appear to think the Double Eagle was Colt's Edsel.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:29 am

Had to look up the Double Eagle. Interesting pistol. I think I'd have preferred .45ACP

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:39 am

charlesb wrote: Most shooters I talk to appear to think the Double Eagle was Colt's Edsel.
The Double Eagle would appeal to me more than a 1911.

I thought the Colt 2000 was their Edsel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_2000
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols