A new RSO on the range

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

A new RSO on the range

Post by Coach1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi, I thought I would share a little personal news with the community.
I retired from Big Blue after 40+ years last April. I have enjoyed being out of the daily grind.
Recently, my local gun range owner asked when I was 'going to help him out'. It seems he needed some summer and upcoming hunting season coverage for his sporting clays, skeet and handgun ranges. So, I took and passed the NRA RSO course. I got my certificate and ID last weekend.

So far he has not pursued the "job' offer. But I expect he will ask soon. I know the current RSOs well - a really good group of guys. Many are former military, as one would expect.

I must admit that THIS career option was not one for which I planned. But it should be fun.... as long as it is part-time.
:D
Coach
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:54 pm

Congrats. Hopefully you will get to spend some quality time on the range. When you're doing something you love it is never just a day at work.

R,
Bullseye

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks Bullseye. I am looking forward to being an RSO.. and the perks - like range time and a few bucks for the work.

A reality check with this being retired: the money is not there for feeding my gun buying habit.
So, the part-time pay will help there as well.
Coach
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:26 am

Congrats on being retired. The RSO thing sounds like a fun gig if it doesn't take too much time.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:30 pm

Having a good range officer really makes a difference. Lucky shooters out your way.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks Charles & Greener.
One benefit is: one does Not have to be a great marksman. to be a capable RSO.
You have to have the right... LOOK, tho. (style points!)
Coach

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:42 am

Coach1 wrote:Thanks Charles & Greener.
Coach
That lets me out. I've had a great deal of difficulty getting the right look for much of anything.

Is this the range on Old Holly Springs Road? I've been meaning to check it out on my trips to the landfill but I've gotten tied up every time I've been down there. Besides, since I left Raleigh in '75 they moved darn near every road in Wake County and/or made them toll roads.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Coach1 wrote:Thanks Charles & Greener.
Coach
Congratulation on your RSO.

Safety has nothing to do with being a marksman. It is beneficial knowing how guns break down and operate so you can clear them safely during malfunctions.

The indoor range where I shoot I always end up helping someone having problems.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:16 pm

Greener, I have a membership at the Holly Springs Road range. It is indoors-only now (had an outdoor range, I am told, but the Holly Springs town around it has come too close for that.) The range is called the Wake County Firearms Education & Training Center. (what a mouthful that is!). It is owned and operated by Wake County and used by LEOs and the general public. One must take a "safety" class prior to getting an ID. I quit going there when I found my outdoor range.

I have been shooting regularly at Drake Landing @ Andrews Farm in Harnett county. They are just 8 miles south of Fuquay-Varina, NC. My son-in-law (and shooting buddy, John,) lives in F-V. The trip is about 35 minutes for me and I pick him up on the way. This is where I will likely be initiated as an RSO. The owner - Dan Andrews - is planning to expand the Sporting Clays circuit and I think then he will need some help. I must admit that I am no shotgunner. But I know how to keep them safe. DL is open to the public. No membership is req'd.

I guess I will have to get ob of those 'shell pouches' in order to complete The Look. :D
Coach

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Coach,

Thanks for the info. I'd read about the Holly Springs range and it sounded interesting. Just never had the opportunity to check it out.

I think the outdoor range sounds like a better deal.