Lots of 22LR here

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Lots of 22LR here

Post by charlesb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Our local hardware store just got in what looks like 20 cases of Aguila .22lr ammo, high in price but allegedly pretty good stuff. I haven't tried it yet.

Besides the regular .22LR stuff, there is also a bunch of "Sniper Subsonic" ammo that has a .22 short case topped off with an extra-long 60 grain bullet so that it ends up with .22LR dimensions.

I bought one box of 50 of each to play around with. If my guns like them I might spring for a brick, high price and all.

Unfortunately, all of my .22LR guns are semiautomatics, so the subsonic stuff almost certainly will not cycle the actions. It'll be fun to see how much hold-over they require at 50 and 100 yards. - I like playing around with stuff like that.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 pm

SSS cycles some of my semiauto rifles

It cycles my Henry Survival rifle (their working copy of the AR7) and my Browning SA22 (which I think needs a new recoil spring)

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:32 pm

It cycled my Marlin model 60, and my Ruger MkIII Hunter very positively. - It appeared to shoot to the same point of aim at 15 yards as those firearms did with regular HV .22LR. - In both cases, I had empty 12 ga shotgun hulls flying, every time I pulled the trigger.

Click image to see it bigger.

They sure are funny-looking, but they work just fine.

My theory is that the heavier slug is slower to get pushed down the barrel, giving the propellant more time to push on the action, too.

Here's why I like to show up at the gun club at 2 or 3pm on weekdays:

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:35 am

See you like fighting the crowds. :wink:
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 am

The first 2 cases (Aquila SE stnd velocity) I had were from Cole Distibuting at $119.00 a case, delivered...If I had only known:(

The last case I've had a few more issues with. Seems to be a bit underpowered. Either they've changed their velocity or type of powder because it only works with a clean pristine semi auto, whether it be a Hi Stnd, any of my Rugers, or my Marvel conversions. It shoots very very well in my 541s, so it won't go to waste.

I did pick up a case of their high velocity (1135 fps) target ammo, and that functions just fine, so I'll use that up in practice and save the CCI SV for the matches.

Stork
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington