rant on Dick's.....

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

rant on Dick's.....

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:17 pm

I was out wandering about and ended up at Dick's I asked the gun clerk to look at a rifle. He said he needed to see my ID first, then had to hold on to it while I looked at the rifle. I asked why he said it was company policy since "some guy on Texas asked to see an 870 and ran out of the store with it..." he didn't take the trigger lock off either, but that's a whole other rant.

I don't look like I'm under 21 or 18 so age isn't a factor. I guess I can kinda understand the policy but gun people don't generally like giving their ids to anyone. It made me feel like they didn't trust me to look at something I might have bought. It put me off of giving them any of my money.... again.... still.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:19 pm

I can understand Dick's Sporting Goods being a little cautious, but then again I'm cautious about where I spend my money too. If they really don't want to sell guns then why not just take the gun counter completely out of the store. If they're worried about someone stealing a firearm by dashing out the door, then they should install a panic button that automatically locks the doors so a thief cannot exit the store. Typically, this is the reason why stores place the gun counter all the way in the back to prevent someone from having a short sprint out the front. In some cases, there are many obstacles one would have to navigate to even make it to the front exit door.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Dick's is awful in pretty much regard around here.

They're the bottom of the chain, below all the other chain stores that comprise the bottom of the barrel. Scrape hard enough and you get to Dick's.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Yeah that's pretty much my thought on the place. I got a $100 gift card and can't bring myself to spend it.

-John Wayne

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:00 am

If it's a Dick's gift card it's already spent.

Did you talk to the manager? It might be that this kid had some strange idea of company policy. At least when confronted with some obviously dumb idea, the response has been that they misunderstood the policy.

Maybe I'll work going into the local Dick's and see if that's the policy here into my busy schedule.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:13 pm

The Dick's near me is further than Caballa's . I've only been in to Dick's once since it was built. Since Cabella's is closer I always go there.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:04 pm

greener wrote:If it's a Dick's gift card it's already spent.

Did you talk to the manager? It might be that this kid had some strange idea of company policy. At least when confronted with some obviously dumb idea, the response has been that they misunderstood the policy.

Maybe I'll work going into the local Dick's and see if that's the policy here into my busy schedule.
who knows, this one doesn't carry handguns andkeeps the longguns under double lock and key.

-John Wayne

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:44 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
greener wrote:If it's a Dick's gift card it's already spent.

who knows, this one doesn't carry handguns andkeeps the longguns under double lock and key.
The one in Portage? I wasn't impressed with the clerks when your mom, favorite eldest child and I were in there last May.

I went by one of the Richmond Dick's today. Asked to see the Marlin 30-30 they had on sale. The clerk handed one to me and went to the other end of the counter and messed around until I was ready to put it back. He was polite.

Maybe you just got a clerk whose head was in a dark place.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:59 am

I don't think any Dick's carries handguns. They do have handgun ammo, and some cleaning gear for them. Never saw a holster or other handgun accessory.

The local Dick's is my closest gun-related brick and mortar. It's about a block away, in the shopping center my subdivision borders. I was in there last month when a customer at Sportsman's ( a mile away) told me he'd just been there and they had a pallet of Value Packs. I got one that day, and one the next day. It actually lasted 2 1/2 days.

That was the first I'd been in Dick's in at least a year. I don't expect much from a clerk who maybe gets a dollar over minimum wage, and is barely out of high school. That's all I've seen there, anyway.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols