GM Ignition Recall

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

GM Ignition Recall

Post by greener » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:15 am

The boss' '03 Impala was on the GM ignition recall. Since the last GM ignition switch I replaced was $700, I thought it might be worth it to address the safety issue. It turns out that the recall fix was modifying the existing keys. They remove all or part of the existing rubber head, put in a metal bar, a little Loctite, and a new rubber head. The fix is to make the hole in the head of the key smaller so you can't hang stuff from the key. There is a ring through that you can put the fob ring through. So, you can still hang a pound of keys from the key or get a bigger ring to put through the hole in the key so you can hang dumbells from it. I wonder how many senior managers, engineers and lawyers it took to come up with this.

I told the boss that the easiest way to make sure she is safe is to replace the car and how good she would look in a new Stingray and how her children and grandchildren would rather she spent their inheritance on that rather than just keep the musty old money sitting around. Does raised eyebrows and "sure" mean "yes" or is it a reference to the devil's future need of ice skates?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:12 pm

Didn't surprise me that GM would "cheap out" on the fix for their defective ignition switches. Granted, no one should have a pound of keys and other trinkets attached to their key ring, but making the hole smaller in the key blank - geez!

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:26 pm

My Scion xB ring has the remote, an old dogtag, and nine keys on it. Most of the keys are padlock size, but still not so light. Ten years, no problem. Toyota makes a good switch to start with. My xB is not on the latest recall for airbag shrapnel, either. I'm surprised those are a Japanese product.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols