Drop a .22 cartridge and injure yourself?

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Drop a .22 cartridge and injure yourself?

Post by greener » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:33 am

Here is a story about a woman who claimed to be injured from a dropped .22 cartridge. After all, it's a rimfire and all it has to do is land just right. A 3-foot drop has enough force to fire one?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/woman-hurt- ... 30098.html

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:03 am

Seems unlikely but possible. Injury from the brass would be more likely than injury from the bullet. - The lighter piece would move faster, bounce around a lot.

Personally, I am dubious about the story but then again, I wasn't there.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:18 am

Sound very unlikely that that could happen. I would guess she may have got lead spray from someone shooting at steel near her if it's lead that was removed. The only thing that I think would have any energy would be the brass jacket. I'm going to agree with Charles hard to believe.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:11 pm

The firing pin hits the rim hard enough to make a dent in the case. That's a pretty high pounds per square inch force to crush the rim and fire the cartridge. I doubt that the round falling a few feet and landing on the rim will approach that force.