Cop Drama

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Cop Drama

Post by charlesb » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:19 pm

I found a really outstanding cop drama on NetFlix, called Blue Bloods. It has Tom Selleck playing the NYC police commissioner. The guy's whole family are cops except the black sheep daughter, who wound up being a lawyer.

Really a cut above most cop shows, not loaded up with PCBS like the "CSI" series etc..

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:20 pm

That show has been running on CBS for 4-5 yrs now.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:26 pm

On NetFlix they only have the first four seasons, but you can watch the show whenever you like, even one episode after another. I usually watch two episodes a day.

There is no broadcast TV here, everything is either cable or internet, and I prefer internet.

I used to be ambivalent about Tom Selleck, until seeing the Jesse Stone mysteries, where he put in a great performance.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:09 pm

"Quigley Down Under" is a really good Selleck movie. The only one I've bought to rewatch.

The rifle, and the shooting, though I'm sure staged, are fun, too.

Quigley's Sharps rifle, from Wikipedia:

Quigley says of his gun:

"It’s a lever-action, breech loader. Usual barrel length’s thirty inches. This one has an extra four. It’s converted to use a special forty-five caliber, hundred and ten grain metal cartridge, with a five-hundred and forty grain paper-patched bullet. It’s fitted with double set triggers, and a Vernier sight. It’s marked up to twelve-hundred yards. This one shoots a mite further."

Three fully functional .45-110 rifles matching the above description were built for the film in 1989 by the Shiloh Rifle Co. of Big Timber, Montana, United States. They also had a 15 1⁄4 inch length of pull to fit Selleck's tall frame, a full octagon heavy barrel with a blue finish, and weighed 13 1⁄2 pounds. Due to the weight, one of the rifles was sent back to Shiloh to be refitted with an aluminum barrel so it could be swung faster (as a club) in fight scenes.

Though Quigley calls it a lever-action rifle, this is actually an error. While it is operated with a lever, the Sharps rifle is actually a Falling Block Action, not a Lever Action.

After the filming concluded, Selleck kept all three rifles, and had two of them reconditioned by Shiloh Rifle Co. In 2006 Selleck donated one of the rifles used in filming to the NRA for a fundraising raffle. In March 2008 that rifle was sold for $69,000 through the James D. Julia auction house. The company which created the rifle for the movie (Shiloh Rifle Co.) also offers production models (1874 Sharps Buffalo – "Quigley") for sale to the public, with an approximate $3,300 price. An Italian company (Davide Pedersoli & C.) sells a copy of the Shiloh rifle under the name S.789 1874 Sharps Quigley Sporting. Both of these replica Quigley rifles are occasionally seen in the hands of Confederate cavalry reenactors depicting the last two years of the American Civil War, as the Sharps Carbine was copied by the Confederacy, and often captured, as well.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Ruger 22, Thanks for the information. It was interesting to read / learn.
Quigley Down Under is one of my favorite movies, too.
I will suggest another for a 'down-under' great story: The Man From Snowy River.
Coach
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones