Christmas gun goodies?

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Christmas gun goodies?

Post by ruger22 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Santa brought me two Federal .22 Value Packs. Four HKS speedloaders for my big LCR and Sentinels. Plus a fair sized Sportsman's Warehouse gift card, that will probably go for ammo. Not bad, since "Santa" is kind of jealous of my shooting trips.

Anyone else get a fair trade for the dish of cookies and milk?
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:29 pm

I got an UpLula mag loader for those high capacity pistol mags. Getting in the last few rounds can be a little hard on the thumbs without some artificial assistance. I have to say it is difficult for my family to find things shooting related that I don't all ready own but they managed to do it this year.

R,
Bullseye

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:50 am

Sounds like great presents. I got a heavy box and visions of .22 bricks danced through my head. Turned out to be a lump of salt crystal with a light in it. Be careful when you say in jest that you sure wish you had one of those thngs. :lol:

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:53 pm

greener wrote:Sounds like great presents. I got a heavy box and visions of .22 bricks danced through my head. Turned out to be a lump of salt crystal with a light in it. Be careful when you say in jest that you sure wish you had one of those thngs. :lol:
could have been a lump of coal;
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:39 pm

greener wrote:Sounds like great presents. I got a heavy box and visions of .22 bricks danced through my head. Turned out to be a lump of salt crystal with a light in it. Be careful when you say in jest that you sure wish you had one of those thngs. :lol:
I have one of those, too! They look neat for about ten minutes. It's on a shelf somewhere in the basement.......
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:06 pm

I've been thinking of a LWD converision barrel for my Glock 22... you happy wth it BE? you didn't have to swap ejectors or extractors?
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:57 pm

Everything works fine with the original extractor and ejector and the conversion barrel. I started using G26 and G17, 9mm mags, with the G27, but I could have just used the .40 cal mags and they would work fine too. The 9mm mags have feed lips that are just a little bit narrower than their larger caliber siblings. I had no functioning issues with the LWD 9mm conversion barrel and either caliber Glock magazine. I decided to just keep the proper caliber in the correctly identified mags, that way I wouldn't have any issues with the wrong caliber ammo and either barrel installed in the pistol. Swapping between the two barrels is just a matter of a quick field-strip, takes two minutes tops.

R,
Bullseye

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:28 am

The LWD website mentioned problems with low power ammo

"About 1% of our 9mm conversion barrels are affected by the poor performance of low powered 115 grain ammunition causing a Failure To Eject (FTE). A good example of ammunition that is “most likely to fail” is Winchester White Box (WWB). This rare failure is too low a percentage to make an issue, however it is one we are well aware of. The fix to resolve this issue is quite simple:"

Doesn't sound like many have the problem.

How often do you shoot the conversion? Both my Blackhawks and my Single Six are convertibles and I very rarely shoot with the convertible cylinders.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:15 am

I've had the conversion barrel about six months now and it pretty much resides in the slide more than the original barrel. I've shot plenty of WWB out of it and I haven't experienced any feeding issues. However, I can understand them happening as the recoil spring and the G27 slide are a little beefier to handle the stronger recoil of the .40 S&W rounds.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:29 pm

the only ammo I have ever used that was sometimes underpowered was Wolf steel case 45ACP, their 9mm may be the same. Ammo worked most of the time but sometimes would not totally cycle the slide on my SA micro Compact, used Blazer aluminum and it worked fine. Started reloading my own ammo and gradually increased the load until it would cycle the slide properly.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Thanks BE, I think that might be my Birthday presant to myself to convert my G22c to 9mm... since my duty gun is a G22 I don't need 2 .40sw full sized glocks, and 9mm is way cheaper than 40 to practice with.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:31 am

bgreenea3 wrote:Thanks BE, I think that might be my Birthday presant to myself to convert my G22c to 9mm... since my duty gun is a G22 I don't need 2 .40sw full sized glocks, and 9mm is way cheaper than 40 to practice with.
About the same if you reload it. Something to do in your spare time.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:25 am

I got a picatinny rail for my problem-child .223 bolt gun.

What I haven't gotten so far is a break in the weather so I can go get the gun sighted in again with the new rail.