New Gunsmith's Shop

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

New Gunsmith's Shop

Post by charlesb » Fri May 15, 2015 4:45 pm

All of business stuff looks to be going well... I got just about everything but the FFL nailed down today.

My son and I were tired after all of the running around today, and decided to hold off on applying for the FFL until next week. I have all of the forms, and will fill them out over the weekend. That will just leave getting the picture and fingerprints, then mailing it in, getting a copy to the Sheriff.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 16, 2015 1:55 am

Once you jump through all the hoops, and have your insurance and security issues fully addressed, everything will start to happen for you.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Now we have the interview done, and everything looks to be OK, the ATFE folks say the application and interview look good. - So now we get to relax for a few weeks. As far as I can tell, there's nothing further that can be done until the FFL arrives.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:09 pm

In business now. Still getting things organized, but at this point if somebody walks in, we'll be able to fix them up.

Am contacting gunsmiths in El Paso and Midland/Odessa, looking for places to refer customers who need some service that we are not set up to supply. - Gun bluing, for example.

Will put an ad in the paper, the local radio station soon.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

bluing

Post by stork » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:02 pm

If you ever get a wild hair and want to try a cold rust bluing, keep this stuff in mind.

I did a new Caspian wad gun and an older (rough shape MKII) with it this spring. Came out really good. far better than the Birchwood casey products, Brownells Oxopho bluing, or 44-40 I've tried in the past.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ound-quote

Al

[/list]
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:57 pm

I've been interested in rust bluing for a while, and intend to get my feet wet with it on an old 98 Mauser that I must re-barrel.

I haven't read about the cold rust bluing, the stuff that I've looked at requires a steam box.

Thanks for the link!