Who is going to be first?

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Who is going to be first?

Post by greener » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:30 am

Notice the little icon on your task bar this morning/ It's our reservation for a free upgrade to Windows 10. All you have to do is signup and Bill Gates and his minions will download it to your computer when it is your time.

I was thinking about signing up the Boss' computer. Just after I cancel my life insurance policy. That way she will have two reasons not to do me in. The first one is restoring her computer.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:36 am

Sounds like a solid plan to me :D :D :D :D

When they do roll it out it will mean more work for me restoring pc's back to what they had....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:35 am

It's supposed to make W8/W8.1 look more like W7 instead of a tablet. I have a touchscreen laptop and don't use that interface. If I want a computer that works like a tablet, my Samsung Tab works better.

They are supposed to be getting rid of some of the apps that came with W8. I'm not sure which ones. I've been converting old VHS tapes to digital and am having enough trouble figuring out which "app" will play them.

I've got an HP lap top that has stuff that doesn't work well with W8.1, who knows how it will work with W10. The card reader doesn't recognize any card I have so I don't know if it works, the LEEP Motion thingy had the courtesy to shut itself off. I couldn't find anything it did other than a demo. The biometric fingerprint scan works a while and quits, but will lock up any screen with a password because of driver (the latest) problems. Now, let's port that mess over to W10.

I'm beginning to think I should have gotten a MAC so I could go around exuding holier than thou MACness like my son-in-law.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:46 am

I have a W7 desktop and laptop, and an old XP laptop.

The XP has been loaded down with so many "updates" that it's half as fast as it was new, which was still slow compared to my newer W7 machines. I'm sure Microsoft purposely loads down old machines to force you into new ones.

The W7s have continual function problems. Defragmenting and restarting fixes them, but only for a couple of days.

The W7 laptop won't do Rimfire Central. If I type something and click submit, the dumb thing says my reply has to have at least one character. It doesn't know I've typed anything, been that way since I bought it last year. The RFC tech guy has no idea what might be wrong. That laptop works fine on other websites, just not RFC.

Isn't technology wonderful? My old Windows 98 PC was trouble free, just slow compared to these days. It seems that every "advance" is a step backwards.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:03 pm

What browser are you using?

Sometimes it's a java edition problem

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:09 pm

I switched to a mac over a decade ago. Got tired on working on my own computers. Doing tech support on PC's is a endless job. They always seam to have something wrong, virus, adware, crashes etc....... With all of the service going on it's well documented that a Mac takes <10% of the time to maintain vs a pc. I prefer to use them and not have to work on them every time I try to do something. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911