What else are friends for?

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

What else are friends for?

Post by greener » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:04 am

A Richmond gun store was robbed of 32 firearms. The perps were caught quickly because the police acted on an anonymous tip that gave the name, location and cell number of one of the perps.

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/crim ... cad2b.html

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:59 pm

I like happy endings. Hopefully they will be able to recover more of the firearms that were stolen. The article only mentioned five of the thirty-two stolen were found at the suspect's motel room.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:03 pm

A gun shop in the D/FW area that I used to work for was burgled overnight on three separate occasions over a two year period. - Eventually causing the owner to have to close it down.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:40 am

Like Jewelry stores, any competent gun store owner should be locking the entire inventory in secure safes overnight to reduce the chances of a smash-and-grab theft. Too many of these types of burglaries have occurred over the past several years. Otherwise, you are just inviting thieves to enter your premises by any means possible. Alarm systems are easily defeated, as seen here in this article, and cannot be depended on to safeguard the merchandise.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:34 pm

I'd be concerned about the guns getting beat up from being moved around so much.

In my situation, the guns are customers guns, not on display. Any time they are not being actively worked on, they wind up in the safe anyway.

The idea of selling guns does not appeal to me in any case. In this little desert town of 6k, there are already three places selling firearms - But the next nearest (other) gunsmith is 125 miles away.

We'll be putting together custom rifles during the slack times, but those will be sold online. I simply do not have the space, or the inclination to try to set up a showroom.