TechTeach molded 22/45 no-gunsmithing grip panels

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Just received a set in the mail. Tried them on the MKIII without the screws. Looks like a perfect fit and I really like the change in the way the grip feels. Thanks, Dom. Excellent work. :)

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Yo greener - How 'bout a pic?
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

greener

Post by greener » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:30 pm

OpsMgr wrote:Yo greener - How 'bout a pic?
Coming up when I finish screwing around.

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:34 pm

Understood - Enjoy! :lol:
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

greener

Post by greener » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:04 pm

It would have been a no-sweat job if it hadn't been in the 90's at the garage workbench. SWMBO likes the grips better than the original. I like the thinker grip and the textured surfaces.

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:14 pm

Looking good there greener. Did you drill the frame for the screws and what screws are those in the pic?
- Thomas Jefferson

greener

Post by greener » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:57 pm

The panels fit with no trimming. They even have a post to fit the sear pin. The mounting screw holes in the grip are smaller than the Wilson Combat 1911 grip screws I had. (the holes are recessed so the head fits). I set the panel on the grip and used the holes as templates. Drilled them out with a 5/64 twist drill through the grip frame. Then took my tap and enlarged the holes so the threads fit. The screws were about 1/8".

The only weakness I see is the screws are in the plastic grips and could work loose. I misremembered to take my blue loctite down to the workbench. I'll do that later. Long term, I may need to put in a bushing. If I decide I don't like them, the grip now has two 1/8" holes in it.

It looks like the panels will force a few changes in how I've operated the pistol. They do not taper at the top and are about 1/4" thick. I've had the habit of depressing the bolt release with my thumb without a grip change. I can't do that with these panels. (sounds like a slingshot mod is in the works). The thicker grips make it a tad more difficult to operate the mag release with my thumb.

Will see how I like the panels during live fire. I think they improve the grip enough so the minor changes in operation will be worth it.

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:58 am

Thanks greener! Going to add a set of those grips to my 22/45 real soon. Do the slingshot mod - One of the first things I did to mine. Just put the ball & spring aside in case you ever want to switch it back...
- Thomas Jefferson

greener

Post by greener » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Did the slingshot mod. It was really tough. I've been following the BOM don't clean it until it stops working policy. With that much of a detail strip you might as well clean it a bit. 5 min for the mod and 15 minutes degunking.

Dom offers two styles of grips. The one I bought has a sticky rubber surface. I don't know if the other ones are any different than the surface. I may want to trim a bit of a bevel in the back sides of the grips. I'd suggest that you temporarily attach them before you do a final installation to see if there is any trimming you might want to do. May not do anything, they feel pretty good.

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:43 am

Amazing how much gunk will accumulate down in the frame. BreakFree Powder Blast does a great job for me.

Thanks for the tips, greener.
- Thomas Jefferson

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:33 pm

Tried the grips at the range today. They make a big improvement in grip. Big plus for figuring this out, Dom!

moose

Post by moose » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:37 am

Just got a set of these Grips and base pads for my Daughters Ruger MKIII 22/45. They are Worth the money. I bought the Hard Plastic grip panels for $12.95. They have a textured surface and Really beef up the grip. Feels alot more comfortable in the hand now. The base pads are extended so when inserting a mag, it is alot easier to seat them. Plus no shipping charge when you buy the grip panels. Very easy to install. Just have to make sure none of my buddies see me shooting my daughters Pistol, I got her the Pink grip panels.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:09 pm

I've shot Greeners 22/45 and i LOVE the grips. nice job on them old man

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:27 am

moose wrote:Just have to make sure none of my buddies see me shooting my daughters Pistol, I got her the Pink grip panels.
Just tell them how good the pink grips look on the black frame, as anyone with a discerning eye for color and style can see. :lol:

TechTeach

Stylish Ruger MKIII 22/45

Post by TechTeach » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:36 pm

Every time I take my Ruger to the range it wears a different set of color grips black, red, pink, grey, white, yellow, orange and the base pads color coordinate
________
MACINTOSH GAMES
Last edited by TechTeach on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.