Need One?

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Using PMC 55 (?) gr. Keeping the brass. Haven't bought the stuff for the Lee Pro yet, but I'm collecting brass. I'll probably start reloading in a bit. Bought 1k rounds of the PMC. Wally World has TulAmmo for $4.97 (when they have it). For short range plinking, it would probably do.

What powder are you using?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:37 am

greener wrote:Using PMC 55 (?) gr. Keeping the brass. Haven't bought the stuff for the Lee Pro yet, but I'm collecting brass. I'll probably start reloading in a bit. Bought 1k rounds of the PMC. Wally World has TulAmmo for $4.97 (when they have it). For short range plinking, it would probably do.

What powder are you using?
-+*+
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:36 am

Groups are looking much better. Having the proper (mechanical) sight alignment makes a huge difference. Blurry front iron sight, welcome to old age pal!

What is the twist rate in your barrel? You may want to experiment with some different bullet weights to see how they group. Try some 62's, 69's, and 77's and see how they shoot through that gun.

At least now I can see you out enjoying that rifle, instead of being frustrated with it.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:15 am

Old age? I thought the sights were blurry because they were inexpensive. As a couple of my Aunts said "Old age ain't for sissies." :lol:

Barrel twist rate is 1:9. If I understand the mystery of twist rates, that puts the better results with bullet weights under 70 gr.(?) I'm shooting PMC Brass 55gr FMJBT.

I haven't been frustrated with the rifle, but I'm having quite a learning curve. Other than a few sessions of 2-3 rounds from "you want to shoot my AR?" the last one of these I had much to do with had A1 in the model number. I suppose that if I had lucked out and bought the correct front sight or the rifle had come with fitted sights, I wouldn't have learned that I missed the obvious when I bought one with different rail heights and no hand guard rail.

My impression so far (<300 rounds) is that the trigger is fairly crisp and not too heavy. The ammo has cycled as it should without flaw. Seems to be fairly accurate up to 50 yards. It appears not to need much of a break in cycle. Reasonably good entry level AR. (I suppose an expert might use "box of Cracker Jacks" in the description, but I don't know no better.)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:55 pm

My match gun has a 1:8.5" twist rate and it loves 77's and 80's. Fifty-five grainers won't hold a group at 200 yards, unless you consider spraying the whole target face a group.

Just be happy you made it to old age; the alternative definitely isn't as much fun.

Experimentation is a great way to get to know your firearm. Eventually you'll have a good idea what works and what doesn't work so well.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Bullseye wrote:My match gun has a 1:8.5" twist rate and it loves 77's and 80's. Fifty-five grainers won't hold a group at 200 yards, unless you consider spraying the whole target face a group.

Just be happy you made it to old age; the alternative definitely isn't as much fun.

R,
Bullseye
He is not old yet, he is still working I believe or at least employed. Can not guarantee working. He is one of my young friends though.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:39 pm

I think it's better than the alternative, but there have been zero complaints from those who have experience with the alternative. :lol:
He is not old yet, he is still working I believe or at least employed. Can not guarantee working. He is one of my young friends though.
Employed and it's great to have friends.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:08 am

greener wrote:
I think it's better than the alternative, but there have been zero complaints from those who have experience with the alternative. :lol:
Employed and it's great to have friends.
You are definitely right on the having friends part, they are great to have.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:32 am

Hey Greener,

Midway's running a sale on some surplus M855 (62 grain) ammo for your carbine. SS109 Sale

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:10 am

Bullseye wrote:Hey Greener,

Midway's running a sale on some surplus M855 (62 grain) ammo for your carbine. SS109 Sale

R,
Bullseye
Not a bad price, wonder what shipping is? Then again with surplus ammo if you are going to reload the brass, you have to deal with the crimped primer pocket.
I have been buying some ammo but reloading most of my own for my Savage BTVS. My LGS has had the Savage pack of 50 round of Hornady 53 grain in nice factory brass for 25 bucks out the door for the faithful old time customers. Shoots as accurate as my hand loads too!!!

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks,

It's about $0.20/round more than I paid for the PMC 55gr I'm shooting. Given the primer shortage, political events and the current way of the world, that may be a great price. The next Richmond gun show is the weekend after the election. It could be a real zoo with sky-high prices.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:14 pm

Natchez shooter's supply has the Russian (Tula) 55gr FMJ (steel case) for $140/500. http://catalogs.natchezss.com/email/082310tulammo.html Of course, clicking the link doesn't get you to an online order form. Other places have this Russian ammo for $4.90-$4.99/20.