Carrying too much to the range?

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Carrying too much to the range?

Post by greener » Sun May 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Picked up my range bag to leave yesterday and

Maybe I should carry less or get wheels on that bag if I'm stretching the strap D rings like that. I did have the ammo in another bag.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun May 18, 2014 1:38 pm

I use a 2 wheel dolly to lug my gear in. 50 cal ammo box (aka : brass catcher) loaded with my daily shoot, 400 rounds, Pelican Gun Case (2 guns), and range bag. Makes it a lot easier on the back not having to carry it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon May 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Now I have been inspired. - I think I'll get one of those lightweight two-wheelers ( hand truck ) and fix it up to carry a couple of rifles and an ammo box.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 20, 2014 5:39 am

Your "D" ring is now a "G" ring. Next time don't pack your weight set and rock collection out to the range. Time for a cart.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 20, 2014 8:27 am

Sure gals that my range allows such easy access as to lwt you work right ou of the back door.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue May 20, 2014 10:27 am

Just a thought about carts. SASS (cowboy action shooting) shooter all use carts. That's basically a cowboy (western) themed program resembling 3-gun (pre-1895 style guns), so they carry lots of different stuff. Check out their website for links to carts. Many are home made (well done too) but there are commercial ones available too.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue May 27, 2014 7:17 pm

Cowboy Action / SASS carts are pretty cool

I've also seen some ingenious re-uses of 3-wheel jogging strollers

I need something like that that folds into my trunk

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 31, 2014 10:26 am

Bought some carabiners to replace the D-rings. Thinking about using the folding hand truck. If I shoot handguns only I usually take the Miata, which will hold the range bag and that's about it.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:30 am

The 2 wheel cart I use is one of the folding ones from Northern Tool & Equipment, the small one. I have been using it for about 5-6 yrs now. We are required to stow all I gear on the bench. Since this one folds up I just slide it under the bench so it's out of my way till I'm ready to pack up and leave.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:41 am

I suppose the alternative would be tko go more often and take less each trip. More often sounds good, but the taking less part would be hard to do

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:00 pm

I always end up taking more equipment than I need to the range. Plus, I have to pack a armorer's tool kit because it seems like there's always someone with a problem that needs fixing while I'm at the range.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:04 pm

I have hauled a two-rifle hard case and a range bag to the range before on the back of a motorcycle... Now days I have a 3/4 ton stretch van and carry my own target stand back and forth, in addition to the guns and shooting paraphernalia.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:15 am

Looks like a good, secure way to transport. I have a pickup but at my range you park, then haul down (and up) a sloped path that drops 10' then to each range area. No cars near the shooting area.