Dispense Hoppes by the Drop

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Dispense Hoppes by the Drop

Post by charlesb » Fri May 30, 2014 11:51 am

It took me years to understand that brushes and patches should not be dunked into the bottle of Hoppes #9, as this will introduce dirt into an otherwise clean gun, and lead to fine scratches in the interior of the bore.

So I was a bit slow on figuring out that I needed to dispense Hoppes #9 from the bottle, but I worked out a good way to do so.

Instead of removing the foil seal that Hoppes uses on the bottle as I had done in the past, now I just poke a small hole in it, close to the edge. - It makes dispensing Hoppes by the drop very easy.

Click Image to see it larger.

I should have thought of this a decade or two ago, it works great. Also works on plastic bottles of rubbing alcohol. If you need more than a few drops, just squeeze the bottle and it will squirt.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri May 30, 2014 2:07 pm

Good idea Charles.
My Dad used to say,"Too soon old, too late smart". The older I get the more I resemble that...still waiting on the smart part tho.
Al
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:40 pm

I always use Hoppe's from the little bottles. Just hold a patch on top with your finger, and tip the bottle to wet the patch. I never dunk my brushes. I wipe the bore, or wherever, with a wet patch, then use a brush.

I know another guy who uses a former nasal spray bottle for the Hoppe's in his range bag, so I'd guess at home, too.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:47 am

I bought the Hoppe's in a larger qt bottle which came with a flip top valve. Since they changed the formula years back once it was used up I used the bottle for my Red's gun solvent. I still have one of the 4 oz bottle of Hoppe's but seldom use it anymore. As for a brush I just squirt some on it and the same to clean the brush. I clean the brush up after every use. Once it's saturated I use roll it on a paper towel and it wicks the dirty solvent out.

I know of a few that went to the medical dispenser that you see in Dr offices. It has a little pump at the top, all you do is push down with your patch on top.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:18 am

I passed this little tip onto my nephew this weekend. We put a new 28" Bull Criterion on his Savage the prior weekend & spent yesterday & Saturday doing ladder tests @ 300 yds. Conditions varied quite a bit so we only got time to check out 3 brands of 30 165 gr with 4064. The match loads he had been shooting through the stock 24" bbl with 1 1/4" groups gave us under an inch @ 305 yds. Now to load some up to check out the sweet spots.
Stork
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington