Replacing Mag Safety Parts With a Mark II Bushing

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Replacing Mag Safety Parts With a Mark II Bushing

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:14 pm

If you want to remove the magazine disconnector safety and replace it with a Mark II hammer bushing then all you have to do is remove the parts shown in the red box below.

Then take your new Mark II bushing and place it as shown into the Mark III hammer.

Once the bushing is in place, install the assembly into your pistol using the reassembly instructions on my web help pages. The hammer and new bushing will sit on the disconnector lever and then is placed into the pistol by swinging them down on the disconnector lever.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:30 pm

Another Great "How to" by Bullseye......................
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:43 pm

I saw several inquiries of, "What exactly needs to be replaced?" So I thought I'd lend a hand.

R,
Bullseye

chasfred

Post by chasfred » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm

I just need to make sure I understand what is going on now, because I can be a bit slow at times.

If I remove the mag disconnect safety parts that you indicate, and use a MKII bushing, then I will not have to do the mag in & out routine during disassembly and reassembly. Why did Ruger come up with such a contorted process. My MKII was had enough when I bought it, but this process is just eat up with stupid.

manic mechanic

Post by manic mechanic » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Does this also pertain to the MKIII 22/45?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:46 am

chasfred wrote:I just need to make sure I understand what is going on now, because I can be a bit slow at times.

If I remove the mag disconnect safety parts that you indicate, and use a MKII bushing, then I will not have to do the mag in & out routine during disassembly and reassembly. Why did Ruger come up with such a contorted process. My MKII was had enough when I bought it, but this process is just eat up with stupid.
That is correct. Without the Mark III magazine safety installed, the process for stripping the pistol is simplified by not needing to insert and remove the empty magazine.

Ruger wants to sell firearms. In order to sell in large states like California, they had to comply with the laws in those states and have a factory magazine safety in their pistols. The same goes for the loaded chamber indicator.

I agree that the process is much simpler without the safety, which is why I've posted methods to remove it.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:47 am

manic mechanic wrote:Does this also pertain to the MKIII 22/45?
This pertains to any Mark III pistol; regular metal framed models or any of the 22/45 variants.

R,
Bullseye

chasfred

Post by chasfred » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:39 am

Many thanks, I will be getting my parts for this today.

Also many thanks to you Bullseye, you are a fountain of knowledge, and your willingness to share is by far above and beyond.

chasfred

Post by chasfred » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:18 pm

I still have one more question about this project. When I look at the side profile picture of this mod done with the washers, and compare it to the mod done with the MKII bushing, it appears that the two do not have the same profile. The price of parts either ways is not an issue. I just want to do this one time though. I am not questioning your info . . . I don't think . . . just wanting to have a warm fuzzy before getting started I guess.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:36 pm

Good eye. The profiles are actually different between the washer mod and the Mark II bushing installation. This is is due to where the parts sit when installed. The hammer bushing is actually held away from the hammer's hook and cannot interfere with the operation of the sear. In the washer mod, the inner washer is flush against the hammer slot and that puts it in a position to interfere with the sear and cause doubles. By cutting the inner washer (or spacer) so it doesn't reach the hammer hook, the sear can operate freely and catch the hammer when cocked by the bolt.

R,
Bullseye

manic mechanic

Post by manic mechanic » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:48 pm

Where's the easiest place to get the MKII bushing?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Brownells had some and Clark Custom sells their oversized version.

R,
Bullseye

chasfred

Post by chasfred » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:33 pm

With the help of your web pages I was able to replace the mag disconnect safety with the MKII bushing with out a hitch. Many thanks for all the time and effort you have given to help those of us who enjoy tinkering with the MKII & III pistols.

manic mechanic

Post by manic mechanic » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:24 pm

chasfred wrote:With the help of your web pages I was able to replace the mag disconnect safety with the MKII bushing with out a hitch. Many thanks for all the time and effort you have given to help those of us who enjoy tinkering with the MKII & III pistols.
I finally got around to doing the same as above, and it sure makes tear down and reassembly so much easier to do and remember. Barely took 15 minutes to do, was about 45 minutes with cleaning all the gunk out of her. First real clean after 500+ rounds, now she's ready for the range again. Thanks again Bullseye!! 8)

jar

Post by jar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:54 pm

I have a mk3 and want to remove the mag disconnect while doing other work on it. If I decide to put in the VQ hammer, should I get a Mk2 or Mk3 hammer? If I get a mk2 hammer, do I need any additional parts?