bolt release wearing out on a MKIII?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Matt_S

bolt release wearing out on a MKIII?

Post by Matt_S » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:56 am

I was thumbing through some differnet posts and forumns and just read about the bolt release wearing out on a MKIII. Just remember that I'm green at this, and I found it surprising. Is this something that could happen or is it GOING to happen if I use the bolt release to chamber my first round?
Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:38 am

Matt,

The catch will wear out remarkably fast if used as a bolt release. When this happens the bolt will fail to lock open. The way to reduce or eliminate this condition from happening is to slingshot the bolt closed. The slingshot method is simply pulling the bolt all the way rearwards and letting go without touching the bolt catch.

If your pistol is a 22/45 model, you have to pull the bolt rearwards then manually depress the catch button to let the bolt close. there is a modification to permit the 22/45 bolt catch to operate like a regular Ruger 22 auto by removing the detent ball and spring in the bolt release button.

R,
Bullseye

Matt_S

Post by Matt_S » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:14 am

Great! Does the slingshot method work for most guns, or only as a trick for this one?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:28 am

The slingshot method works on all the semiauto's that I've shot. For example, the 1911 has an angled bolt catch stop notch to force the lever downwards when the slide is retracted fully rearwards. By using this method the pistol loads more naturally as it would out on the firing line. With the Ruger 22's, you have to use this method or the differences in the metals will rapidly cause the bolt stop catch to round off and fail to lock the bolt open.

R,
Bullseye

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Oops...I've been doing it wrong for a while now...had a bolt catch failure yesterday....figured it was a fluke. Anything I can do to mitigate the damage? Easy and cheap to replace?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Make sure that the bolt stop lever isn't rounded over from releasing the catch with your thumb. If if is then it can be carefully squared up again with a stone or file. You also may have some grit under the lever assembly that is interfering with the timing of the stop lever. Give it a cleaning with the grip panels off. Release the bolt by the slingshot method and this will reduce any wear on the bolt stop.

R,
Bullseye

oldpal

Post by oldpal » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:34 pm

Bullseye wrote:Matt,

The catch will wear out remarkably fast if used as a bolt release. When this happens the bolt will fail to lock open. The way to reduce or eliminate this condition from happening is to slingshot the bolt closed. The slingshot method is simply pulling the bolt all the way rearwards and letting go without touching the bolt catch.

If your pistol is a 22/45 model, you have to pull the bolt rearwards then manually depress the catch button to let the bolt close. there is a modification to permit the 22/45 bolt catch to operate like a regular Ruger 22 auto by removing the detent ball and spring in the bolt release button.

R,
Bullseye
I know that this is an old thread, but I'm new to the forum and have a question. I have a new MK III 22/45. My question: With the bolt locked open, if I pull the bolt back a bit, depress and hold the bolt stop button and then release the bolt to slam closed, will this cause the damage?

Hugh

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:06 pm

No ......
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:57 pm

I spent about 3 years pulling the bolt back while depressing the bolt release button. It didn't create any problems on my 22/45. I finally found the round tuit for the sling shot mod. Much better way to operate the pistol.

oldpal

Post by oldpal » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:28 pm

greener wrote:I spent about 3 years pulling the bolt back while depressing the bolt release button. It didn't create any problems on my 22/45. I finally found the round tuit for the sling shot mod. Much better way to operate the pistol.
Yes it looks to be a better way to me as well, but I am going to attempt a mag disconnect removal and an extractor replacement before I have enough courage to mess with the trigger and the bolt stop button.

Hugh