Handgun ammo shortage continues

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Handgun ammo shortage continues

Post by ruger22 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:58 pm

Just checked (by phone) with all six area Wally Worlds today. No .22, little of anything else. A quick perusal of websites confirmed the same with them. Nine months after the election. Will it ever end?

I have a small stash of about 7000 rounds of 22LR (two GI cans full) that I'm determined to hang on to until supplies are more "normal". I built up my total supply, one or two bricks at a time, from late November until I had about 10K rounds in April. So I'm NOT one of the two case at a time hoarders.

Now I will soon need a couple more bricks to keep me out of the stash. I dread going back to the same old BS of hounding every source by phone and visits, burning up gobs of time and gas to get two more bricks of Federal or maybe three Winchester "333" bricks. A thousand rounds will do me past New Year's.

Does anyone else see any improvement in their area? Any ideas on when it will end? It's odd that ammo for rifles and shotguns seems in pretty good shape now, where it was getting nearly as short as handgun ammo.

A final reminder that I brought up in an earlier post. Where are people putting all this ammo? I know some firemen-shooters who are really worried, knowing what a pile of improperly stored ammo will do in a house fire. And, at some point in the future, are these hoarders going to be looking at thousands of dollars worth of green, useless ammo? It won't keep forever, and poorly stored it's lifespan could be only a matter of weeks.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:31 pm

7k rounds sounded like a lot until I realized that was under a case and a half.

I think it's loosening up some. I think I'm seeing more .22 around. Green Top (Ashland, VA) had a very ample supply of CCI SV (50-round cardboard boxes) a couple months ago. Now their ample supply is Fed Value Pack, RGB's, Win Xpert I haven't seen any of the Win 333 boxes in quite a while. The Short Pump (VA) Walmart had some Fed 550 round bulk and I picked up 4 boxes a couple weeks ago. Hard to keep stocked with what you want.

Green Top changed it's limit on primers from 500 to 1000. Of course, they haven't had any small pistol primers the last two times I went there. No LP primers either.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:01 pm

As long as people keep buying it up and storing it, it will remain short.
They will only produce so much a year then they sut down and retool for a diggerent caliber. :roll: :cry:
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:17 am

I'd say here in Texas people are still buying as much as they can; however, it seems like like most places are getting their orders filled sooner. Minus the two of the more popular rounds, rifle ammo hasn't been hard to find here, but good luck if you want .223 or .308. I don't shoot shot guns at all, so not sure what that situation is.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:29 pm

The small auto calibers, like .380, is pretty scarce to find anywhere.

R,
Bullseye

aomiii

Post by aomiii » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:39 pm

In No. Calif. No 9mm .40 and .22 they have a little .45. It's disappointing.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Handgun ammo shortage continues

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:52 pm

ruger22 wrote:Just checked (by phone) with all six area Wally Worlds today. No .22, little of anything else.
Like I said something too soon. Two days later, I called the closest Wal-Mart and he had just opened one case of (ten) Federal .22 bricks. I zipped right over and bought three. That should cover my range trips the rest of the year.

The clerk did say that was the first and only case of the Federal he had gotten in about two weeks. So I guess I just got lucky.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:04 pm

At my club pro shop , they have had a good supply of 40 cal for some time now. Only prob with that is I don't shoot 40 cal . They also just got in 2 cases of 9mm (it's probably gone by now, less then a week), and I picked up 100rds.
A thought i have is this: what are these hoarders going to do with all the ammo they bought at the high price they bought it at? The goverment could say, "it is illegal to use unmarked ammo anymore", or , "all gun ranges can only allow laser tagged ammo in their ranges, if violated, range is heavily fined and shut down". My point is this, hoarding only hurts ourselves as gun owners. If you think about it, the government has really done little of anything to thwart gun owners so far, but, gun owners have hurt themselves exponentialy by their hoarding. I only buy what I need, if I can't get it, then I don't shoot. "Oh well".
haka
ps, I only have about 2000 rds of 22lr left, and it doesn't even bother me, like I said, if I can't get it, I can't get it.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:55 pm

I'm happy to say all of the Walmarts near me seem to be having a steady stream of .22 ammo. Anyone else having the same good fortune?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:39 pm

I'm happy to say all of the Walmarts near me seem to be having a steady stream of .22 ammo. Anyone else having the same good fortune?
My club got another shipment of 9mm, 10 cases of remanufactured fmg/rn by Zero. I have been noticing good supply of 22lr at Gander Mountain (not my favorite place to shop, high prices). I did buy 2 bricks of remington thunderbolt there for $19.99/brick. At Dicks Sporting Goods, I buy my CCI MM's there for $8.99/100 . Yes, the 22lr seems to more abundant. I hope this continues with all brands of ammo.
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:03 am

.380 ammo seems to be in the shortest supply. Green Top had a sale on LCP's, but no ammo. Couple of guys at the gun show had .380 and were charging according pretty high prices for it. A Sig booth was including a box of .380 with their .380 ammon. He laughed when I asked if the $749 price was $49 for the gun and $700 for the ammo.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 am

greener wrote: He laughed when I asked if the $749 price was $49 for the gun and $700 for the ammo.
I know how he felt. I laughed too when I read your post. Good thing my coffee was on the desk instead of at my lips or I'm sure my monitor would have gotten a shower.

An interesting sales idea - buy a box of ammo at the new regular price and get a free pistol included in the deal.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:53 am

.380 ammo seems to be in the shortest supply. Green Top had a sale on LCP's, but no ammo. Couple of guys at the gun show had .380 and were charging according pretty high prices for it. A Sig booth was including a box of .380 with their .380 ammon. He laughed when I asked if the $749 price was $49 for the gun and $700 for the ammo.
He laughed when I asked if the $749 price was $49 for the gun and $700 for the ammo.
I know how he felt. I laughed too when I read your post. Good thing my coffee was on the desk instead of at my lips or I'm sure my monitor would have gotten a shower.
An interesting sales idea - buy a box of ammo at the new regular price and get a free pistol included in the deal.
This past winter, at a gun show, 380 ammo was going close to $1.00 (one buck) per round. I have actually "not" seen any since then. I do not own a .380 hg, but feel for the people who do. One consolation, .380's are generally bought for self defense, and not a lot of target shooting. (although it would be nice practice with your SD hg every once in a while w/o taking out a mortgage on your home). I have heard that .380 and 9mm use the same machines to manufacture?, and .380 is just not as important as 9mm right now. I would think that 9mm is in high demand, not only because it's a popular round for hg owners, but also military use as well. I own a beretta M9, and I am quite sure the military uses the 9mm for many functions, especially practice and general use. I had mentioned earlier, some 9mm has been avaliable at the club, but it is a standing order, and was placed back in february.
Haka :alex:

manic mechanic

Post by manic mechanic » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:48 pm

I was at the Taylor MI gun show yesterday and pretty much all ammo was available, just needed to drive a Brinks truck there and make a delivery to buy any, man were they high. I did manage to find some Federal 40 SW 180gr at Wally world in Taylor for $12.47 a box. I haven't seen any 9mm or 45acp in so long I'm glad I was always picking up a few boxes here and there over the last few years. Hopefully at least the 9mm will start showing up soon. Come to think of it even the 22cal has been pretty scarce around here.

Patriot First

Some prices and availability

Post by Patriot First » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Recent guns shows averaged asking price for 380 acp at $50-55.but in all fairness did not see one person purchase any at those prices.(mm is available,wal-mart near me recently last 2 months have been gettin 9mm,40 s&w,357 sig,and 22 lr,not in quantitys but still a regular delivery