Favorite

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Favorite

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Right now, my favorite gun to shoot is my S&W 686-6" Revolver. Followed very closely by the Ruger Mark lll Hunter. The reason I like the Smith is because it shoots both 357mag, and 38sp, which I reload for. I also think it's a cool looking round, and has a rimmed case. I don't have to chase the brass around the range collecting it to reload again. Just open the cylinder, push the ejection rod, and ker-plunk, back into the box. The range of loads are quite wide, from light 38sp to heavy 357 mags. The long barrel is classy looking, and handles recoil very well. It is SS and easy to maintain. It is my fav gun (for now).
Anybody care to relate their thoughts on which gun is your favorite.
G

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Mine is my Single-Six. Something classic about a single action. The slower pace gives you time to think, to actually aim like you should. You're not just blasting away, burning up $$$ of ammo.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:18 pm

Mine is my Single-Six. Something classic about a single action. The slower pace gives you time to think, to actually aim like you should. You're not just blasting away, burning up $$$ of ammo.
Good points made. Sometimes I fall into that mode, burning up ammo.
G

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

favorite.......

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Hmmmmmm... that is a tough one..

I like all of them thats why i bought them!!! :roll:

But favorite is a tough choice...I really enjoy my MkII and my 422 in that order for rimfire pistols...Springfield Milspec 1911 them my 44 mountan gun for centerfire pistols....and my Savage 22 for rifles.

I got to say I have had thoughts of trading guns from time to time, but them i go out and pop a couple caps through them and i can't make myself go through with it..

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:41 am

Springfield Milspec 1911 them my 44 mountan gun for centerfire pistols
That 629 is the best center fire you have. At least it's my favorite. But if you don't like it I'd be willing to give it a good home :lol:

I don't know that I have a particular favorite. Maybe the MKII GC in rimfire and either the GP100 or .45 Blackhawk in centerfire. The P22 is on the bottom of my list. Most of the rest are in the "gee, this is fun, why don't I shoot this one more often" category when I take them out for a range session.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:09 pm

for the wheel guns its the 44 mountangun then the 357 gp100 definitely the 44 has the swetest trigger..... I have to search dad's range bag every tim i take it out with him

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:36 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:for the wheel guns its the 44 mountangun then the 357 gp100 definitely the 44 has the swetest trigger..... I have to search dad's range bag every tim i take it out with him
Keep a shrp eye on that old coot, he does like hand guns.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:07 pm

I do like them guns of the hand.

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Can't pick

Post by Pete D. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:43 am

Favorite gun(s).
Yeah...that's a tough one.
I do a lot of Bullseye matches and so the two guns that I use most are the two that go to the matches with me. On one hand then, they are favorites: a High Standard Victor .22 - an absolutely marvelous trigger and almost magically accurate (the gun, not me). The other is a Colt 1911 Gold Cup that was worked over by the late great George Madore. Another gun that is way more accurate than I am capable of shooting most of the time.
On the other hand, for general use.....that's where I have problems choosing. I rotate with the guns that I carry around. The two that get carried the most are a Springfield 1911 that has been set up to shoot .45 Super and a Glock 36.
Frequently, though, I will pick up an FN FiveSeven and choose that rather than the .45s, especially if I'm going to the range and long range plinking is on my mind; it has a goodly amount of rounds and a substantial amount of power as well as being, again, an extremely accurate firearm - as accurate as any "custom" combat pistol, as accurate as my target guns.
I also like (see what I mean about having trouble choosing) the Makarov that I picked up some years ago. It always works and is a good smaller gun for the belt or pocket.
And then there's .......well, I didn't get to revolvers yet ....there are a few...a .44 Blackhawk when hunting, a S&W Model 10 for long range plinking, and a little 317 .22 snubbie that goes in a coat pocket for a woods walk. And on and on.
Pete

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:56 am

Pete, you have the problem a lot of us seem to have, too many choices. :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:37 am

greener wrote:I do like them guns of the hand.
Yes, you do, nothing wrong with that. Lately In the last year or so I have seemed to take a very huge interest in the shoulder mounted rimfire guns, cheap to shoot and lots of fun. Lets this old man sit down and chute, getting old is sometimes hard to deal with. I must have really taken an interest in them as I have purchased After getting out of shotgunning clay targets because of a vi son problem, sure did love that sport, sold all the scatter guns and had some extra money for toy that I could not afford years ago. The Marlin 1894 in .38/.357 is the favorite shooter as of late as it is super accurate for a lever gun and a real fun shooter. Looking for warmer weather so we can give Nyla a good try out for plinking plastic prairie puppies. Did purchase several in 2009, if I count them I may scare myself.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.