Remington Corelock Softpoints

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Remington Corelock Softpoints

Post by Mr. Nail » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:46 pm

THIS IS NOT AN ANIMAL FRENDLY TOPIC, SORRY!!! . I went on a turkey/hog hunt over the weekend and 5 or 6 small hogs walked under the feeder and started eating. I shot one high shoulder or near about and it started flopping and screaming for about 10 seconds, then jumped up and ran into the woods. I followed a decent blood trail that got lighter and lighter until we finally lost it. There were about 4 or 5 of us looking. Anyway the hog got away. This season, I shot a doe in the pocket and found two or three specks of blood and she never got found. I shot a buck that was turned away from me in between the shoulder blades and had an unbeleivable blood trail but the deer ran so far the blood finally got light and he got lost until I found him two weeks later and now this hog. I did have 5 successful hunts w/ these Rem. CoreLocks and I used them a long time but Im thinking about going back to the Hornady ballistic tip. I shot a box of them a couple of years ago but I didnt like em cuase they were making a little bit of a mess of my game. I never had game run off using em though. I guess I just wanta start using something a little more forgiving on not so well shots even though I thought they were well enough.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Sorry to hear some wounded game got away. It sounds like your bullet energy is not high enough with the rem bullets. If shooting reloads you may need to increase the velocity (or heavier bullet) to get the same results as Hornady's. You did not mention what caliber and distance you are using. Many states have a min bullet energy that must be met, I wish more states would go this route. Example : 243cal does not cut it, 270 cal up is required. Even though any caliber in the right spot will drop most any game, in the general public it does not work. I've have seen some very large hogs >300# , these are tough animal to drop when they get this large. A 243 may just piss them off. But if you hit that sweep spot it will do it very easily but don't count on that shot.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:07 am

It makes me feel bad too when game just gets bloodied. Sorry I didn't give more info yesterday, the wife was rushing me. I was shooting my .270 w/ 130 gr. softpoint corelocks. The hog was young, under 100lbs. and it was a little over 100yds. The doe from early season was 60 yds. broadsided and Im thinking I didn't catch any bone maybe. This was the first deer I'd ever had run off muchless get away. I looked all day for that poor deer. The other deer I lost was a few weeks later . I shot a small buck and he ran 20 yds. and died but there was another w/ him that turned away from that shot and I made an over the butt shot where the back of the neck meets the back. That one was my fault because I only waited 30min. and I pushed him to make a long story short.(LESSON LEARNED)But he was close too. I found him a couple weeks later. I've never had accurassy issues w/ corelocks and I'm mot opposed to them. It just aggrevates me when I lose one.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:17 am

Let me throw another question. I got four corelocks left and a box of PMC softpoints left and I am going to use this ammo up before I change back to some cheater bulletts. But, I've never used this PMC ammo and was wondering if yall have used it.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:22 am

I have never used PMC ammo so I can't comment on them. I have only used reloads for hunting for the last 35yrs. I have never use a bullet lighter than 150 gr for hunting. I'm assuming these are factory ammo and not reloads. In general factory ammo expands rather well. You may want to setup some test to check the expansion of the round at 100 yrds or at what you think your maximum shot will be. Milk jugs or phone books will make a pretty good back stop. Is by chance your scope got knock off and the placement is not where you think? It's the first think I check if I miss a shot. It's possiable that this new ammo has a different projectory, which is impacting your placement, going high or low.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:09 pm

I very seldom set up my hunts so close is the reason I favor the 130gr. although I have used 150's and you're right, I know they'll help out especially on close shots . guns been doped for about a year, year and a half, exept for very fine tuning every once in a while. I shot it once before the hunt too and it was perfect left to right and it was 2" high instead of an 1-3/4" where I prefer it but I let it slide. We're deffinantlly in agreement that if I was going to keep using the bullets that I am using I need to stop making (Chance Shots) like I killed that second buck with. I'm just thinking the ballistic tips might give me a little edge becuase my fridge should be a little fuller instead of the buzzards.