What "aw-shucks" did you do?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:08 pm

How much, too much powder, eh? Wink
I knew ole experience would figure this one out. Yea, must have been a double load. I load the 38's at about minimum, but not this one.
good job OM,
haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:19 am

Hakaman wrote:
How much, too much powder, eh? Wink
I knew ole experience would figure this one out. Yea, must have been a double load. I load the 38's at about minimum, but not this one.
good job OM,
haka
One of the reasons that I have always used the bulkier flake powders like Red Dot or Green Dot, if you do drop a double load ther is not enough room to get the bullet in as I remember and the other reason is I have a lot of it around from my shtgunning days.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:04 pm

My moment came one day when I was grinding a piece of steel with a hand held grinder and suddenly the garage lite up, nice and bright, behind me. I may have left the lid off the powder reservoir on my Dillon press (I prefer to believe the cat had knocked it off) and apparently a errant spark found its way into that powder. Lots of flame and smoke. Melted the plastic powder reservoir in a heart beat.

BTW, I called Dillon and even though the reservoir was destroyed through my own negligence, those folks sent me a brand new one free of charge. Made me a customer for life.

Y

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:10 pm

It had to be the cat!

Haka

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMye ... r_embedded How many guys does it take to fire an M16 and at least he was wearing sunglasses lol

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:41 pm

After having this incident happen to me, I tore down, and reloaded all the rounds I loaded previously. It was a bugger, but I felt I would never relax shooting them as they were. They all seemed okay, but when I was shooting them, they were really lite loads. This brings me to wonder what really caused the higher charge? Could it be that the round wasn't charged enough? I have heard the dangers of going below the minimum. Could this be a possibility? The difficulty in loading these bullets are that they are "plated", not fmj or lrn. According to Berry's, they load in between lrn and fmj. There really isn't much data out there for plated bullets. On top of this, I am using Win AutoComp, and again, there is not much load data for this powder(it's newer on the market). I now have found a comfortable load for these components, but not without struggling first. Could this picture be the result of too light of load?
Haka

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:34 pm

do you remember when you fired it? was it stiff? lite? did the bullet impact significantly different than the others?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:31 pm

I reload using Barry's Plated bullets. You can use lead charts or std low to med charges. But keep the velocity below 1200fps.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:14 am

do you remember when you fired it? was it stiff? lite? did the bullet impact significantly different than the others?
This round rattled my S&W enough to make me look the gun over to make sure it was still ok to shoot. The normal load I was shooting was notably passive, not giving any kick what so ever, and the gun was a full lugged 6" 686. It felt like a strong magnum round going off. Since these loads were at the minimum, I wonder what the consequences of "not enough powder would cause". This incident has made me realign my reloading procedure, to add another methodical step to the process. A double load will "not" happen again (or too lite of load).
I reload using Barry's Plated bullets. You can use lead charts or std low to med charges. But keep the velocity below 1200fps.
I don't have anything to check the velocity, but I know that is an excellent way to check load data. On Berry's website they state to load their plated bullets between LRN and FMJ bullets. This is good info, but to me, a little vague, opening the door slightly for problems. I just got back from the range after testing new loads for some 9mm, 38sp, and 45acp's, and all were very successful. I now have, for the first time, good recipes for those calibers using Win AutoComp. I think the key for these loads was a good solid taper crimp at medium loads.
Haka