The Law of Large Numbers.

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

The Law of Large Numbers.

Post by Downeaster » Fri May 14, 2010 11:54 am

I've been shooting since 1962 or '63.

I've shot shotguns, rifles, pistols and revolvers (and a couple of more interesting military items).

I've had failures to feed and the odd failure to extract, and lots of failures to fire with rimfire ammo.

In all that time, and uncounted thousands of rounds of ammo, I've NEVER had a squib round, a live-fire double feed, or a stovepipe on a centerfire weapon.

While training at the NRA Instructor school, I had two doublefeeds and a stovepipe on a Beretta 92.

Today, I dug out some relatively new reloads (2006) in .45ACP and took my SIG to the pit for a little recreation/training. I had not one but THREE squibs out of 100 rounds. Fortunately, all three had enough power to exit the barrel, just not enough to cycle the slide.

I did notice a little acidic smell when I opened the ammo can, I'm thinking I might have a little powder degradation problem.

Guess I better shoot all that old stuff up and reload it.

Darn...
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Squibs

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri May 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Downeaster how do you store your ammo?

I am still shooting up 60 year old .45 rounds with no problems.

Powder degradation is 'usually' associated with storage issues such as extreme temperature variations, water damage, etc, etc, etc.

Reloading is probably your best bet if you are already experiencing this problem.

Enjoy!
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: Squibs

Post by Downeaster » Fri May 14, 2010 1:33 pm

arizona-hermit wrote:Downeaster how do you store your ammo?

I am still shooting up 60 year old .45 rounds with no problems.

Powder degradation is 'usually' associated with storage issues such as extreme temperature variations, water damage, etc, etc, etc.

Reloading is probably your best bet if you are already experiencing this problem.

Enjoy!
Stored in sealed ammo cans in a basement that stays 60 degrees or thereabouts pretty much year around. I've shot 20 year old reloads and never had a problem, not sure what's up with this batch, but I don't think it's storage issues.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:57 pm

Well if your got that smell off of the powder it's gone bad. Time to fertilize the yard, or burn it off. Basements seam to run high in humidity which is harder than heat on breaking down powders. You may have not got the can sealed good. I'm still shooting powders from the late 70's without any problems.

As far as ammo storage, I have started sealing my reloads with the vac/seal food saver bags. I store 200 rounds/ bag to make it easier to handle.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Fri May 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Long term storage would probably be better with a little silica gel drying agent and a sealed container. Moisture is probably the biggest problem. Corrosion is a sure sign of moisture.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:27 am

My reloads usually get shot up before they have a chance to deteriorate....they don't hang around long enough :D

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Sat May 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Mine either. You cant expect ammo to perform like new when its decades old.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sun May 30, 2010 9:21 am

Mr. Nail wrote:Mine either. You cant expect ammo to perform like new when its decades old.
I've been working diligently on that problem. Couple of days ago a guy from work came over and we went to the pit and "disposed" of all the 2006 ammo and made a pretty good dent in the 2008 vintage. Did get a couple of more squibs on the 2006 batch.

It's a dirty job, but... :shock:

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 30, 2010 9:59 am

Downeaster wrote:
Mr. Nail wrote:Mine either. You cant expect ammo to perform like new when its decades old.
I've been working diligently on that problem. Couple of days ago a guy from work came over and we went to the pit and "disposed" of all the 2006 ammo and made a pretty good dent in the 2008 vintage. Did get a couple of more squibs on the 2006 batch.

It's a dirty job, but... :shock:
That's above and beyond the call of duty.

I should have old ammo lying about, but it seems to evaporate. I load it up and next thing I know, it's gone. Mice?

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sun May 30, 2010 12:25 pm

greener wrote:I should have old ammo lying about, but it seems to evaporate. I load it up and next thing I know, it's gone. Mice?
Lead moths. Boogers will eat it all up on ya if ya ain't keerful. I find that the high temperatures and gasses formed when igniting the main charge tends to discourage them.