Beeman P1

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Beeman P1

Post by KAZ » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:31 pm

I've having so much fun shooting air rifles in my backyard that I wanted to add a pistol. Requirements were a good trigger and accuracy so that it would serve as a meaningful practice tool, and of course be fun. After doing a lot of research I settled on the Beeman P1, and the fact that our own Bullseye uses the P1 for his backyard practice helped make me decide to pull the trigger on one. It arrived today, and all I can say is why did I wait so long. The trigger is the equal of any that I own, and it is a pleasure to shoot because it just drills tiny holes. The sights are really very good, but my old eyes love the red dot. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Looks pretty good.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Good looking air pistol. You can set that up in the back yard and have some fun. Good luck with it. :)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:16 am

I just have a set regular 1911 wooden grip panels on mine, no fancy finger groove ones like that one. It is great for practicing SF follow through for bullseye shooting. I use the 30' air pistol targets and a .22 cal bullet trap for my home range.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:26 pm

Wow, that she is a beauty Kaz.

Yleefox

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 am

Don't see too many air pistols her in Michigan as they require the same hoops to be jumped through as any handgun. BB or S&W .500 mag they are all the same here.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:48 am

Holy hot dog that is a nice pellet pusher, didn't realise they were so ummm rich.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:38 am

Bullseye, those "fancy finger groove" grips actually came on the P1 as I acquired it used due to the fact that as Tbag said they are "rich" proud of them new. As Bullseye said they are pure quality, and more complex than a 1911 with no plastic anywhere. I've just spent some time shooting offhand at my swinging prairie dog target at 25 yds. Great fun, but almost too easy 8) . Thanks Yleefox, someone took great care of this one. BAOM, I wasn't aware of any whole state restrictions, only some cities. Not good when you have something that is not classed as a firearm by the Feds running into State level BS. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Several states treat BB/Pellet guns the same category as regular firearms.

Here's my story on how I acquired my P1. I actually bought mine at a yard sale for $80 in California many years back. I hadn't even noticed it until some guy pointed at the zipper rug in a big stack of stuff and said, "Danger!" I smiled politely and feigned concern (in my best tree-hugger camouflaged face) then as soon as he was out of sight picked it up and saw the P1 pistol inside. It looked brand new and had several accessories with it, including a fancy, unopened, Beeman Air Pistol cleaning kit and the zipper rug it was in. When I asked the guy, "How much?" I couldn't get my money out of my wallet fast enough. I didn't even try to bargain down the price. He said he only used it once but his wife didn't want the pistol in the house so he had to sell it. At that time Beeman P1's were going for around $250-$300 in the same condition, so I chalked it up as a really great deal. Back then you could do personal sales in CA on guns without going through an FFL but it wasn't too long after that they changed the Law to include them in the regular firearms sales restrictions through an FFL dealer and a waiting period. Even today some cities restrict shooting air pistols within the city limits with the same guidelines as a regular firearm, so it is wise to check your local ordinances before standing out in your back yard shooting the pellet gun. One neighbor complaint could bring a lot of heat if your not in compliance. Anyway, I've had it all these years and really enjoyed it.

R,
Bullseye

ronn

Post by ronn » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Your opinion Bullseye. At the local NRA Regional Brian Zins said he does not like orthapedic grips and recommends we bring slab side grips to his seminar next month. But the Army pistol instructor said if they were not that good olympic shooters would not use them. I do better with them on .22, never tried them on a 1911.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:26 am

First let me say if you're going to attend a seminar then bring whatever the instructor requires. The instructor needs everybody on an even footing to facilitate conveying his instructional techniques to an entire group more efficiently. That being said, I use anatomical grips all the time. I have many variations of these grips, some which I made myself. Shooting is a very simple process but also complex in nature. If you're not concentrating 100% on the fundamentals of sight picture and trigger control you will not do well. If you're not comfortable with your equipment then some of your attention is distracted away from the basics and overall performance suffers. Anatomical grips just help a shooter feel more comfortable interfacing with the firearm and that helps a person focus more completely on the fundamentals. There's various reasons for a person to use custom grips like hand size, finger length, etc. and the standard grip panels are made to fit the average sized hand. The problem is not everybody's average.

I can shoot well with plain 1911 grip panels; I was originally trained on shooting service pistols. However if given a choice, I will choose a good set of custom grips over the plain grips most of the time.

Ronn, I hope I answered your question to your satisfaction.

R,
Bullseye